I want to listen to voice with the microphone off. How do I do that?

Kestrel Sorrowsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm using the latest Firestorm. I am often in a noisy room and do not want to have voice enabled to speak but want to listen to others and reply in text. THis is most offen when taking classes in sl where the instructor uses voice to teach but the students do not have to have voice to respond. How do I do this and is there anywhere I can test it to make sure it works. Thank  you!

2 answers to this question

That's easy.  Just keep your microphone switched off or unplug it.  Nobody can hear you unless you have a microphone and it's turned on.  I rarely activate voice at all, myself, and I don't have a working microphone, so all I can do is listen on those rare ocassions when I think someone may be using voice.  It makes life much more peaceful.  :smileywink:

• Like 1

A microphone isn't even required in order to HEAR voice, just to speak to others. Just keep your microphone off unless you're speaking. In fact, most places prefer that you do so, since no one needs to hear your background noise when you're not talking.

I was wandering around today with my mic off and heard a conversation in what sounded like Spanish ^_^ To test if it works, you can turn your mic off and have a friend speak to you; or go to a popular voice-enabled area, hunt down people using voice, and eavesdrop for a few seconds to see if you can hear them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.