Any Cinema 4D users?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

/me waves at Pamela.

C4D user as well. Excellent choice, Pam

Sure you can bake. (Use the baking tag). One of the things I like best is that you can bake to psd files (high quality). You have the possibility to bake all options into one texture, or to bake all options on several layers in psd. So for example you can bake ambient occlussion (this is selfshadowing of an object, same what you know as shadowmaps from sculpties) into a layer, the used material into another layer, light in a layer, shadows in a layer, and so on. Then later in Photoshop you can still edit each layer and finetune the intensity of each layer.

Tons of interesting tutorials and excellent explination about UVmapping can be found here: www.c4dcafe.com
It is worth to become a member there so you can download the video tutorials.

Thank you so much Madeliefste! I have been having a bit of trouble finding tutorials.

I have heard good things about C4D -- it's really a matter of do I have any brain cells left after learning (a little bit of) Blender. :matte-motes-silly:

One thing that is not clear -- do you use the whole suite of programs including Bodypaint?  Or just the C4D Prime? (Which is what I am looking at.)

• 3 weeks later...

You can texture with both, but Bodypaint is more powerful. You can look to Bodypaint is your 3D Photoshop. It gives you the possibility to use techniques you know from Photoshop, like clone, sponge, smear. You can use tools like magic wand and lasso, you can make masks. You can use as many texturelayers as you like. And there is a real powerfull tool not known from Photoshop, which is projection painting. You can more or less project you texture on the object, like it was a slide. You can move, shift, scale etc direct in 3D with this.

Thanks  Maddie -- Just this summer I bought CS5 Extended so I could use the 3D capabilities (not that I actually use it; I still rely on GIMP) so I probably will not be buying Bodypaint any time soon -- but am very seriously considering buying C4D so wanted to make sure I can texture with it.

I'm a longtime Photoshopper, and when I first started to work with 3d in Blender I experimented a bit with texturing in 3D, but I did not like the results at all. I experimented also a bit with the 3D painting in PS, but I never could get a grip on it.

So for some time I did al my texture work just in 2d in PS, the upload to Blender, check, work further in PS, upload to Blender, check, back to PS, etc. It takes a lot of time, but I was at least satisfied with the results.

When I started to use C4D I could get a student license for the Studio version, which includes Bodypaint. For about a year or so I didn't even touch it, I was too busy to learn about other options of the program. For texturing I made uv maps and textured the maps in PS. Since a few months I'm more interested in texturing directly on the object, and Bodypaint is a big help.

See for yourself, what you can do with it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.