The "FOLLOW" button

Maia007

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm not a fan of this really, simply because I don't like the idea of being followed whether by a friend and/or especially strangers :P I don't have a clue what this FOLLOW button does actually but it sounds a bit creepy. Has any of you intentionally FOLLOWED a contact or just someone in SL by clicking this button (FOLLOW) in that person's profile? If so, what are the perks you get from it? I really am so curious. I wanted to know coz apparently we have no control over these followers coz we can't press any option for them to UNFOLLOW us and that, for me, is a big hassle. (especially if those people following me can actually see or they know wherever I am in SL without me knowing that they're lurking and watching my every move) I really don't like that.

So, one question for our dear SL creators, why can't we have the option to make these unwanted followers UNfollow us? 

And some other questions, like I've asked above, how does this FOLLOW thing works exactly? What happens if they started following you? Is it like Twitter that whenever you post tweets, that they would be able to read those as well? But at least with Twitter, you can decide whether to ACCEPT or DECLINE such follower but in SL, there's no option like that. I simply hate seeing the FOLLOWERS column in my profile piling up and I can't do anything to make those stop. Actually, MAYBE I don't mind some people following me, like close friends. But if these are perfect strangers or some people I didn't get along very well with but would start following me? It's disappointing to know that I have no control over this.

Anyone out there who can enlighten me on this one please? I'd appreciate it ;)

Thank you and Happy Holidays everyone! :)

Maia007 wrote:

I'm not a fan of this really, simply because I don't like the idea of being followed whether by a friend and/or especially strangers
:P
I don't have a clue what this FOLLOW button does actually but it sounds a bit creepy.
Has any of you intentionally FOLLOWED a contact or just someone in SL by clicking this button (FOLLOW) in that person's profile? If so, what are the perks you get from it?
I really am so curious. I wanted to know coz apparently we have no control over these followers coz we can't press any option for them to UNFOLLOW us and that, for me, is a big hassle. (especially if those people following me can actually see or they know wherever I am in SL without me knowing that they're lurking and watching my every move) I really don't like that.

To answer your question (bolded by me): yes!

I follow several people in the feeds that are not on my friendslist. Why? Because they post interesting places and pictures, that make me want to visit those too - as I am an explorer and like to see new places.

So instead of 'friending'  ppl, just for the purpose of sharing LM's and pics, it is much easier to simply  follow them. No strings attached.

I do not see anything creepy in that at all.  I have followers for the same reason,  all are welcome to follow me and read/see my adventures.

Happy Holidays :)

• Like 1

I like it.  Basically, when I update my profile feed, people would have had to been on my friends list to see the updates.  So, even for my most public messages, they'd have to be practically considered a private contact.  (>_<)

But, with follow, they can just see what I've put on my feed.  It's not like we have any running dialogue.  We're not sharing online-offline information or getting special permissions over each other.  Heck, if I were to never update my profile feed, anyone who follows me would get nothing at all out of it. =^-^=

Honestly, why this hasn't replaced store update groups already is beyond me.  This is like the dark ages of SL.  We're getting some of the most useful and lag preventing solutions ever and so many people are rejecting them simply out of a refusal of learning what they actually are. (o.O)

Dare anyone find anything positive about these new features and they get condemed like Galileo was when calling the world round. (=_=)

Here's an idea: Instead of freaking out and thinking the world is out to get you and all new technological advances will destroy your life... Try learning about them and finding that they were implemented by someone who believed they'd be to your benefit.  They sure as heck benefit me.  I've never had a more simple way of sharing pictures I take in SL.  I get a broader audience and people enjoy seeing this virtual world through my eyes. (^_^)

WHY would you want to kill that? (T_T)

Yes those are great points and I'd be lucky if those people are like you "no strings attached" and would just like to "enjoy" my thoughts and whatnot. But the problem is, most of the people following me are the ones I'm not comfortable talking to :) The ones I already tried to not converse with again coz of personal reasons and that's why I call it "A BIT creepy".. not implying to be creepy in general terms coz if you noticed in my first post in this thread, I did say that MAYBE I wouldn't mind FRIENDS following me coz I know them already and they are my friends for good reasons ;) then again, the problem lies when somebody you don't like to see or talk to again is the one following you :) Before, I didn't have any issues about this BUT since I found out that WE CANNOT choose to DECLINE a follower, that's where my concern for this kind of feature popped up :)

I'm not trying to kill anything dear :P This concern is PLAIN and SIMPLE really. Just wanted the option to NOT accept a follower especially when they're the type of people I'm not really happy to see or talk to for personal reasons. And like I said, I didn't bother with this before but when people who keep on harassing me started following me, then that's the time I tried UNDOING The following to which we are, unfortunately, not able to do so :P

Maia007 wrote:

Yes those are great points and I'd be lucky if those people are like you "no strings attached" and would just like to "enjoy" my thoughts and whatnot. But the problem is, most of the people following me are the ones I'm not comfortable talking to
:)
The ones I already tried to not converse with again coz of personal reasons and that's why I call it "A BIT creepy".. not implying to be creepy in general terms coz if you noticed in my first post in this thread, I did say that MAYBE I wouldn't mind FRIENDS following me coz I know them already and they are my friends for good reasons
;)
then again, the problem lies when somebody you don't like to see or talk to again is the one following you
Before, I didn't have any issues about this BUT since I found out that WE CANNOT choose to DECLINE a follower, that's where my concern for this kind of feature popped up

I am pretty sure 2, maybe 3, of my followers are the opposite of friends and are probably  following me for other reasons than enjoying my silly pics.

Let them.

I hope they grind their teeth and bite their tongue on every pic I post which is not about them or anything related to them. I can't be bothered, really.

In SL there hardly is any privacy whatsoever, the feed is a part of my SL. Let those grumpy creeps read what I am up to, it will only show I do not care about them.

For the rest, I enjoy it. I like it. Just as much as I like my blog, my flickr, ,my facebook, plurk and twitter. I am happy SL provided us with this more 'intimate' (as I have it set for SL residents only, and not as twitter and all for the rest of the non-sl world)  way of sharing stuff in SL and the opportunity to have contact with my dear sl- friends when I am  not able to log inworld!

To add, and maybe enlighten you a bit, that I am not a blind follower of all new tools being created..I recently started a thread with some feedback on the SL Feeds. This thread was then moved to the dungeons of  the SL Technology forum (I posted in Feedback) but to my delight, Linden Lab has responded they are actually reading all our feedback in that thread, so feel free to add your concerns and questions to it!

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Feedback-on-the-SL-Profile-Feeds/td-p/1268929

LOL! I like that :) yes I agree that it's nice to have something like the FEED to share things with the rest of the SL residents. I just wish to not see the names of those people in my profile (the 'unwanted' followers). haha! I don't see any reason why it should be hard to implement, that option to just decline people we don't want in our lives :P and some others say that there are inactive accounts stuck in their profiles coz these were following them so now they can't take them out and maybe they're like this annoying fly hovering in front of our face and wouldn't leave? lol 

oh, off-topic, what is this FEED everyone's talking about? I mean how do I view mine? it's where I can see my friends' activities right? but uhmm... where can I find it? is it the same with all the viewers? sorry for the quick queries, I just feel that you know more than me so I just hop straight right in :P hihi.. I hope you don't mind. thanks!

Maia007 wrote:

LOL! I like that
yes I agree that it's nice to have something like the FEED to share things with the rest of the SL residents. I just wish to not see the names of those people in my profile (the 'unwanted' followers). haha! I don't see any reason why it should be hard to implement, that option to just decline people we don't want in our lives
and some others say that there are inactive accounts stuck in their profiles coz these were following them so now they can't take them out and maybe they're like this annoying fly hovering in front of our face and wouldn't leave? lol 

oh,
off-topic, what is this FEED everyone's talking about?
I mean how do I view mine? it's where I can see my friends' activities right? but uhmm... where can I find it? is it the same with all the viewers? sorry for the quick queries, I just feel that you know more than me so I just hop straight right in
hihi.. I hope you don't mind. thanks!

The FEED is what this whole thread you started is about :P. ANd that is the only thing, for now, that people can follow. Apparently you have not been into the feeds and profiles, so hopefully you will see it is not such a scary thing at all.....

It is like an SL Twitter and you can either post from Inworld (as I mostly do) with optional snapshots in V3, or use it offworld in your browser.

Mine:

https://my.secondlife.com/caitlin.tobias

Just replace my name for yours in the link, to see it. To read mine, you have to be logged in, as I have set it to SL Residents only. There are more restrictions possible, you can do that in privacy settings.

Oh no no no no.... this thread is not about the FEED (see title of post)  :) The issue I have here's about the FOLLOW thingy and the wish that we could (have the option to ) DECLINE some followers that we really don't want to be snooping around (especially ones we have some personal issues with :) ). That's why I mentioned my question being off-topic coz it's not about my main concern in this thread :)

Your feed is http://my.secondlife.com/maia007 my feed is http://my.scondlife.com/imnotgoing.sideways 

Looking at that Jira, it pretty much has nothing to do with the follow button at all.  It's more connected to the open access which is available in your feed.  You can close that.  Make your feed available to friends only.  Without seeing your posts, people will have nothing to respond to.  Mission accomplished. (^_^)

For example; I'm not following you.  Take a peek at your feed. =^-^=

Imnotgoing Sideways wrote:

Your feed is 
 my feed is

Looking at that Jira, it pretty much has nothing to do with the follow button at all.  It's more connected to the open access which is available in your feed.  You can close that.  Make your feed available to friends only.  Without seeing your posts, people will have nothing to respond to.  Mission accomplished. (
^_^
)

For example; I'm not following you.  Take a peek at your feed. =^-^=

Hi Immy. The JIRA has everything to do with the follow button. The JIRA is a request for a feature to be added. The feature would be an unfollow button. There is an inactive account that is on my followers list. I would like a button that I could click to remove their name from my followers list. I also believe that would be a useful feature for those that want to remove a follower for whatever reason they have.

I am not against the following feature whatsoever. I am following many of the creators and artists I think are cool. It is easier that friending and from my perspective, not as intimate as requesting friendship, especially since I don't know these people.

I have my feeds set so that no one can view mine and no one can post to mine, so my concern is not with persons snooping on me, or stalking me, or finding out the intricacies of my online activities.

The JIRA is a simple request to have an unfollow feature added. 

That makes no sense at all.  What function comes with following which would be disruptive in any way?  Followers don't get special permissions over any other non-friended public account.  Honestly, a un-follow feature is totally counterintuitive since it's easier than easy to just create a browser bookmark to anyone's profile. (o.O)

If you want to block people from seeing your public information; make it non-public.  There are already settings for that.  What, exactly, does un-follow accomplish? (o.O)

Maia007 wrote:

Oh no no no no.... this thread is not about the FEED (see title of post)  
The issue I have here's about the FOLLOW thingy and the wish that we could (have the option to ) DECLINE some followers that we really don't want to be snooping around (especially ones we have some personal issues with
). That's why I mentioned my question being off-topic coz it's not about my main concern in this thread

Well, since the only thing 'followers' can 'follow' is your FEED, your thread is definitely about the FEED.

I think you may need to get used to the sl feed, the profile (in which the feed is embedded) before you start worrying about followers.

They can only see what you post in your feed, they can not follow you inworld as it were. You can even opt to not show the location of your posts, to keep it vague. Also, if you do not post anything....there is nothing to follow.

That makes no sense at all.  What function comes with following which would be disruptive in any way?  Followers don't get special permissions over any other non-friended public account.  Honestly, a un-follow feature is totally counterintuitive since it's easier than easy to just create a browser bookmark to anyone's profile. (
o.O
)

If you want to block people from seeing your public information; make it non-public.  There are already settings for that.  What, exactly, does un-follow accomplish? (
o.O
)

The only disruptive aspect of having someone on your followers list, is the fact that you cannot remove that name. You are correct that it is very simple to bookmark someone. The difference is that if someone bookmarks me, I am not aware of it, it is on their end only. On the followers list however, if someone follows me, I am made aware of it. If I do not wish to see their name on my followers list, I do not have any choice in the matter.

I am not concerned with persons being able to see my public information. I am well aware of the meaning of the word public. The only thing that unfollow would accomplish is removing a person from following you, for whatever reason one may have.

It appears to me as being very vain to put so much importance in seeing someone's name in your followers list.  If the fact of someone existing is disruptive to you, I'd consider your priorities to be extremely questionable. (o.O)

It looks to me like you've never looked into what it means to "Follow" someone's profile.  I would rather have any troublemaker click a Follow button only to discover nothing because I can set my feed to friends only.  Really... Un-follow is just begging to incite stalkers and drama.  (=_=)

Step 1) Un-follow a hater

Step 2) Hater makes an alt and follows again

Step 3) Un-follow the hater alt after finding out

Step 4) Hater is driven to escelate and starts collecting bookmarks of anything you post online and attempts to research you on Google

Honestly.  You have not thought this out.  Your vanity is getting the better of you. (=_=)

Imnotgoing Sideways, I am rather surprised at your reply.

I take it you have not read my responses to you, or to the linked jira or to the linked discussion, and I don't blame you, it is a rather long and repetitious thread.

I stated very plainly that the reason I want an unfollow feature is to remove an inactive account's name from my followers list. Why this is so deplorable to you and others really really baffles me.

In my JIRA and discussion, I also state that others may want this feature as well if they are not comfortable with having persons follow them or if they simply want an option available to them.

Having an unfollow feature would in no way be detrimental to persons such as yourself that have no issue with followers. I myself have no issues with followers, I am vain enough to actually like having followers. For some reason though, I don't like inactive accounts with grey profile pictures on my profile page (in the followers tab). OCD, maybe, picky yes, my priorities questionable, certainly, after all, I am in the forums, right?

Vanity? Most definitely. 

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

The difference is that if someone bookmarks me, I am not aware of it, it is on their end only. On the followers list however, if someone follows me, I am made aware of it. If I do not wish to see their name on my followers list, I do not have any choice in the matter.

So it is only your concern that you actually KNOW who is following you? As Immy pointed out, it is simple to create a bookmark to your profile-feed and follow you, or call it: read your profile and anything YOU post on it, anyway.

My concern, as stated in my SL FEED feedback-thread I linked to a couple of posts ago, was and is: the mute/block list in SL inworld does not work on the profile feed. Hence, someone you actually blocked inworld, can still follow and read your feed. That is a different issue though, I understand. You do not block someone without a reason?

Unknown people, strangers and new residents that stumble upon my feed and think it is worth to follow me - without sending me friendshipoffers - I welcome and hope they enjoy my pics and the locations I recommend.

I still think it is a great alternative to the friendslist, as it is more casual.

Hi Caitlin.

Yes. I don't mind persons following me. I like that I can share stuff with the Second Life population. I enjoy posting pictures of cool stuff, of my avatar, and of interesting places. It makes me happy to be able to share what little pieces of info I have collected during my time here and I enjoy having many persons on my friends list. I have not had occasion to mute anyone yet and I don't believe I have any enemies (again, I rather not know! :P).

I don't post on my feed. It is set to no one and there is nothing there to read anyways. I do enjoy reading what others post on their feed, I really like your pictures, Mr. Mariners little 100 word essays and Mr. Thinker's snippets of info. I was a supporter of the feed early on. 

However, I have an inactive account listed on my followers list. Whenever I open that tab, I see many shiny faces, cool profile pictures and clever names, however, that pretty picture is ruined by one ugly gray blob. I asked support to remove it for me. They told me they could not and to request a feature. So I did.

Whilte not detrimental to me, my prior post includes a scenario where it can be extremely detrimental for someone dealing with genuine harassment.  So, you want pretty names only.  I understood that.  At this point, it's your wants over other peoples' needs.  Don't worry.  I've seen the lab do less for more. (
^_^
)y

No, it would not be my wants over other peoples needs. How would having an unfollow button be bad for anyone? In your scenario, it would still be the person pressing the unfollow button who is making the choice to press it or not. Also, if a person is going to harass us more because we unfollowed them, they are a harasser to begin with. Our removing them doesn't make them a harasser. They can Google and research us whether we remove them or not.

I am not placing my wants over others needs. Why would you say that? 

Charolotte Caxton wrote:, that pretty picture is ruined by
one
ugly gray blob.

And you believe it is an appropriate priority is to remove just one ugly grey blob from a list which you do not have to look at anyway, as opposed to using the time of a coding resource to mitigate the much more widely irritating occurrence of millions of grey blobs which occur daily inworld because of mesh, lag, ugly buildings et?

The Judge

/finds against the complainant.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.