Can't log in

Jules Fetuccio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have not been able to log in every morning for the past week or two, I can't log in tongiht either. The game comes up but it won't even let me type in my name and password. if it does it takes forever. now my cursor won't even show up ont he game but it does on my desk top. What is going on. I'm about ready to withdrawal all my money and quit second life.

Hello Jules. I can understand your frustration. However, I feel it is not the fault of the "game", but is something happening on your computer.

Please post your system specifications.  If you are using Windows, or some kind of software, this could be interfering with the way Second Life functions for you.  Some kind of incompatibility issues. (Occasionally a windows update seems to throw a spanner into the works for me.)

Unless we have more information, we can only guess.

I would advise you to check you are using the most up-to-date version of whichever viewer you prefer to use.  If you are using one of the Second Life official viewers, perhaps you can try Phoenix or Firestorm, and see if these will work for you, at least in the meantime.

Also, check your connection. Reset your modem. And, although it may not help, it certainly won't do any harm if you check also you have got the most up to date drivers for your graphics card.

As I said before, we can only guess at the moment, until we have more information.

Please do not start a new thread. Just click on "options" at the top right hand side of your original post and "edit" to add more information.

Hello Jules. As Marigold already mentioned we need more details about your problem. Do you get an error message when you try to log in or to run the application? Last 2 days we have issues in world (still we have) with region rolling restarts for maintenance and perhaps your problem is relative. Please see: http://status.secondlifegrid.net/ Did you try to log in a different region ?

I'm here tonight researching this problem for my partner (Karra Garnet), who has been unable to connect for about a week.

She has a fully patched Win 7 home 64 bit OS on an ASUS gaming computer. I have a similar rig and have no difficulties connecting to our home sim or any other. She is on Comcast for an internet connection. She has full administrative rights.

She can access the dashboard and can see friends online at secondlife.com

She cannot connect to second life using the current versions of the Secondlife viewer, Phoenix viewer or Firestorm viewer. Not only can she not log in, she does not get the data that populates the fields such as "Events" on the login screen before you even enter a user name. She gets blank space where the information images normally load. In Firestorm, for example, she can only see the Firestorm specific information in the last information section in the upper left - the first 3 or 4 (the ones that normally display SL info) are blank.

She can't log in as an alt. She can't log in by directly typing a sim name instead of last location or home.

She also cannot view items in SL Marketplace. She can get into the marketplace, just can't access the underlying data.

We can't find any other connectivity issues with other sites, and we tried a bunch.

We've done complete uninstalls and clean reinstalls on all viewers, with registry cleaning and removal of info in the "Users" directory, to no avail. Cleaned cache.

She can ping secondlife.com from the "Run" command line, and the connection is fast.

No recent changes to anything. She is running AVG antivirus - there don't appear to be issues there, but maybe I don't know what to look for in this instance. Same with the windows firewall. And if it's a firewall issue, why is pinging secondlife.com working?

I'm completely stumped and nearly brain dead after trying everything I can think of over a period of several days. Anyone have any ideas? It would be nice to at least get on for Christmas.

Thanks

Nick

Has your partner tried logging into her account on another computer, or from another physical location on hers, and does she live in an apartment or a standalone home? Her !SP or hardware may have become blocked for some reason. Have you tried logging into her account on your machine? (Love may mean sharing passwords in emergencies.)

• 4 months later...

I do not care what anyone says...there is something wrong with the second life system...i cannot log in either or it takes forev er to log in or i get booted out of sl...i do not know why second life will not look into fixing this problem...instead they blame it on either your isp or your pc...this is ridiculous...i wish they would fix their system so it would work right...

Thanks, that's the funniest thing I've heard today.  So you "do not care what anyone says" even though what everyone, including LL, is saying is that SL IS BROKEN - http://status.secondlifegrid.net/.  People have pointed at that it in this thread, people have said it in other threads, LL have even published it on that official grid-status page, twitter and facebook, etc.

Mind you, this is the most out-of-date thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4381 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.