Why banned?

SouthernGothic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am a newbie who just had a frustrating and confusing experience. 

I just signed up and entered the London world to see what Second Life was all about and immediately someone placed themselves in front of me, demanded I change my tag and then banned me.

I didn't even have the chance to ask them what they were talking about.

What is a tag?  I haven't found a definite answer anywhere online yet.

Why did I get banned from London?

Hello,

a tag on Second Life usually means a text above your avatars name coming from a group you joined.

Some clubs do not want you wear another clubs tag or maybe an sexual or otherwise offensive ones.

If they didn´t give you the chance to ask or at least tried to help you, anyone can see your SL-age in your profile, then move to another place that is more newbie/user-friendly.

Monti

Look at your friends list, there is a tab called groups. You can see what group is "active", it might be something of an adult nature :smileywink: You can right click a different group, or choose none, and active it. Idk if you've been banned, or why, but that's the only thing I can think of, a risqué group tag.

Thanks for the heads up on a place to avoid... :)

Seriously banning someone for a tag over their head - ESPECIALLY a rez-day newbie, is just very bad form.

People need to first realize that newbies might have no idea what they're feaking out about, and second tone down what they freak out over. A tag is just a tag - they need to deal with it.

Turn off seeing tags if you don't like them that much...

Welcome to second life... lol

Every now and then a tiny person gets a little bit of authority and something like this happens.  Like others have said, it was a group tag from a recently joined group.

Sims are individually owned and the owners or their designated officers can pretty much ban anyone they please for any reason that they please.  Overly agressive banning is a recurring theme.  Nothing you can do about it really and there is a fair chance you didn't really do something that bad from the sound of it. 

My advice is to not worry about it too much and find another place to hang out. 

You can always send a notecard to the owner of the sim politely (emphasis on the polite part) introducing yourself, explaining your situation, and requesting a lift of the ban.  More often than not, the actual sim owners are fairly reasonable people who want people to spend time on their sims.  There is a quite good chance that you will be let back in if for some reason you really want to go to that sim.

That's a lot of effort though and SL is a big place.  There are loads of places to go here and most folks are pretty welcoming and supportive.  So don't worry about getting banned from one sim too much.  From the sound of it, the person banning you may have been a bit of a jerk. 

Hello SouthernGothic and welcome to SL Forums. There is no explanation why someone banned you from a Private Estate. The Estate Owner or Manager has the right to ban you without reason. On the other side don't let it to make your mood bad. Second Life has really so many awesome regions to spend and enjoy your time. About group tags: To see group tags, give the command Menu Me --> Preferences --> General tab --> enable "Group titles". If you want to change your group title, Menu Communicate --> My groups to show the list with your groups. Right click on the group you want --> Activate. If you don't want to wear a group tag, show again the list with your groups, right click on "none" --> Activate. Have fun!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4519 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.