keep freezing

Francie Naumova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My game keeps freezing. Graphics load fast but if I open inventory, or click on preferance, or try to type...freezes for a few secs.  Sometime I can't move or have to wait for a minute of more.  I think my processor is too slow, but not sure. I'm using Phoenix 1.5.2.1185 but have try SL viewer 3-2-1 and the most current Firestorm 3-0-1 22566 and same problem with all of them. I'm not sure what to do next. Would appreciate some suggestions before I spend more money. I just bought the video card.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic
Intel Pentium 4CPU 3.20 GHz, 3200 Mhz
Physical Memory RAM 1.00 GB
Available phy memory 474 MB
Virtual Memory 2.25 GB
Total Available Graphics Memory 574 MB
Free Space 97.2 GB free of 153 GB hard drive
NIVIDA GeForce 8800 GTS

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Francie.

You really do need more memory, but in the meantime, ensure your computer is not cluttered up with unnecessary files on your hard drive, disk cleanup and defragment your system regularly. 

Also check your power supply is sufficient for the graphics card you're now running.

And while you're inworld you will find your game runs smoother the fewer scripted items you wear, also keep your graphics settings low-med.

That's not a bad video card, although it's a pretty old model by now.  I had one myself until about a year ago.  As the others have said, though, you desperately need more memory on it. 574Mb of available RAM on that card is not going to cache a lot of textures, so you're going to find that much of your world is gray while the card struggles to download textures that it doesn't have saved.  All that downloading will also slow down other things for you. Your frame rate will drop and you'll look like you are walking in molasses.

Until you can install more memory, lower your draw distance to something like 64m so that the card doesn't see as many things to download and render.  In fact, set your Quality slider in Preferences >> Graphics no higher than Medium. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.