New furry to SL ^_^

Taleris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys. I just started and I want to find other furry friends to help me learn and fit in. ^_^

I did notice the other threads so I know theres more then a few out there, but I wanted to post myself to get the introduction real time. I have looked into the two types of furries and I sorta wish to explore both sides to an extent but I'm always shy in the beginning so here I am. I actually would like realtime advice on getting a proper furry avater as well.

There are a lot different furry avatars out there. Do you have a favorite animal you want to look like or do you know how much you want to spend on your avatar? That could help to name you some shops or creators :)

And for places....you could use the search to find places which are furry themed. It would also help if you can say on what time your mostly online to find people who want to be friends with you or help you inworld. Here are people form all over the world.

The only thing I didn't really understand was the part with "two types of furries" :matte-motes-bashful-cute-2:

Eeeep sorry the more perverse of the two and the layed back friendly side of the community. I'm only speaking from what I have previously read sorry. I primarily like to be a wolf but fox and even the slightly not so furry neko look is what I tend to like. ^_^ Otherwise I'm very open minded. I get shy when it comes to look in particular especially for this type of game. As for my idea on spending, I'm not sure how much because I still have to straighten some things out in RL before I can easily get the currency. Then again I have no knowledge of the optional ways so lol.

Being "Furry" is sort of like being Pagan. There's a different interpretation of what it means for almost every person who identifies themselves as part of that group. There's no clear-cut "sects" or types within them. It's a rather continuous spectrum, much like all of Humanity's interests and efforts. Gay or straight, tame or kinky, lifestylers or casual comic fans, they include a multitude of types.

Yes, Furries have a sub-group that sees being furry as a very sexual and kinky thing. But there's juat as many, if not more, who are simply into anthro animal cartoons and comics, like Bugs Bunny or  Kevin and Kell or Gene Catlow. Go to a furry convention in real life, and you'll meet an amazingly divrse group of people.

Best advice I can give you on a furry avatar is to go to the mall at the "Rocket City Furmeet" sim. If there's a type or species of furry avatar that they don't sell there, it must be something new or obscure. All the major furry avatar makers have vendors at Rocket City Furmeet, and you can find anything from tiny quad foxes to huge anthro dragons, to cat girls that are nearly Human or just about any species as an anthropomorphic form. Shop, ask questions of the people you meet there, and buy a few things to try, that seem 'right' for your tastes.

Hehe thank you. I am admittedly very much into the kinky view as well as being pretty down to earth otherwise. Guess I'll try to inch my way into getting passed that shyness first though its really making it hard to get into the conversations. Any other tips will be awsome though thanks guys ^_^

One more thing though: Are there ways to earn the currency sooner rather then later without paying real money? I am dieing to be able to mess around with my look but only thing I can get are freebies period.

I don't think there are very many ways for a new person to earn a significant amount of L$ in-world these days, no.  A few places still keep out "money trees" for newbies, but you'll rarely get more than 10 lindens from any given one, assuming everyone else hasn't beaten you to them.  Likewise, camping seems to have dried up, and that was never very lucrative either; considering that 1 Linden is about 4/10ths of a cent (US$), you'd probably end up spending more on your electric bill by leaving your PC running for hours and hours than you'd ever get from the camp site.

Seeing as how US$5 will get you around L$1250, and there are a lot of perfectly decent-looking AVs available in the L$500~800 range, it's really not worth trying to earn money in-world by dribs and drabs, IMO.  

However, if you really can't spare even a couple of bucks of RL money, there's always the Wingless Emoto freebie box. :)  You can search for it in-world, or just ask any passing fur; half of us have the box in our inventories anyway.  (In fact, my AV is still based on the W.E. fox, although I heavily customized the fur pattern once I found a good skin/clothing template to map textures onto the avatar body.)  I think you can also find it at "Northstar Mall", which is another shopping area that has a broad array of furry-AV vendors, including a few you won't find over at Rocket City.  (And vice-versa, so it's worth checking out both before making a decision.)  

Another possibility for cheap avatars is AnthroXstacy; they have a 1-Linden box of their older, now-discontinued avatars which has some nice-looking ones in it.  That, plus freebies off Marketplace or from places such as "Freebie Dungeon", should at least get you started.  (Watch your step in the "free stuff" warehouses, though; some people think it's funny to hang out there for the sole purpose of accosting newbies by trying to "bite" them with that Bloodlines vampire nonsense or handing them scripted objects that try to screw with your AV.)

As for places to hang out:  in addition to the places mentioned abover, Club Cutlass, on the Sunweaver Air sim, is owned and operated by furries, and we have contest events from 6-8PM SLT on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.  You should meet a good cross-section of furries there. :)    On the kinkier side, try "Furr in Chains" or the "Chained Tail Estates".

I never paid real money for my first "real" furry avatar. I hunted for everykind of contest in clubs and after a while I won some of them (was a humanavatar at that time and nearly all clothes were freebies). It was fun for me, cause I liked to go to clubs anyway.

The good avatars start mostly around 500 Lindendollar, but you can end up with spending more than 3 times more for a single avatar.

Make sure you look at different vendors, cause the are all far different from each other from price to features.

Looks like slarf went offline...

Too bad as that was an amazing reviews site.

So I guess hitting some malls for furry avatars is the best option so you can compare them.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/FurNation%20Alpha/

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/NorthStar%20Polaris/111/40/27

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Rocket%20City/198/100/601

- those are some good starters with lots of different choices.

I'm fond of Tokushi, AnthroXtacy, DERP, Kinzart, Curious, [bone Fish], and a few others.

• 1 year later...

Welcome to SL~! 

I want to personally invite you to come hang out in Conspiracy Isle at The Feline Conspiracy with us conspirators~! We're very friendly, and love meeting new faces. Hang out and join our group, and have lots of fun meeting your fellow furry neighbors. ;3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3933 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.