Hat Alpha?

Cinnamon Mistwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not sure if this is even possible, but I have had issues with hats and hair.  I can edit the hair to a point so that it doesn't stick through the hat.  It is very time consuming.  I was wondering if, like shoes, an alpha mask was available for hats so bits don't stick through.  Would the alpha mask work on attachments (or parts of attachments) or only on the avatar itself?  Is it possible to even make an alpha mask that is editable/modifiable? If so, Could it be attached to the hat so you could wear it with any hair without going through the hassle of editing yet another hair?  I am at a bit of a disadvantage since I am not sure how the masking works, but I am open to education if someone can explain it.

Thanks,

Cinn

Short answer, no. Alpha masks work like clothing layers on the avatar, not on attached prims. You could turn the offending pieces transparent, but this will most likely make the whole hair lock transparent. You could set it to 1% transparent and use an invisiprim around the top of the hat, but you may get alpha glitching amongst your hair where there wasn't before, and an invisiprim halo around your head if you stand in front of a wall with an alpha channel. Making a copy and editing the strands out of the way is probably the least hassle, best result method.

• Like 1

Alpha masks won't affect prim hair. They can make the avatar mesh hair base (and the crown of your head) invisible, but the prim hair would still need to be edited to remove the strands that poke through the hat.

The only real way is to alter a copy of the hair and edit it to make it work with the hat. Time consuming, but necessary.

• Like 1

Good question, Jennifer.  It could come in a pack (based on color, straight or curly, length)  and have options for where the flat part is depending on how you wear your hat - forward on the head like a cowboy hat, off to the right or left like a beret or farther back on the head like some of those cute winter hats I've been seeing.  I'd buy it...

Cinn

to make things faster you can highlight more that one strand of hair at a time and mod them..all i really do is make them either transparent at 100% or i'll just shrink a group of them down at the same time that are sticking out of the hat..

to do that just check the edit linked parts button..click on a strand you want then shift and click the others you want highlighted and either make them trasparent or squeeze them all at the same time..*winks and a smile*

don't forget to make a copy of the hair before you do this if you use it without hats as well..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.