Using Alt for build and primary avvie for RP or vice versa?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am headed toward building my first RP estate/area...but I've noticed some real differences in approach to how people do this.  Some use an alt, others their primary... or teams of the same.

I can't think of any advantage right away, other than it being harder to accidentally delete builds, or remain anonymous in the RP scenario. Are there others that might apply?  

You do it for anonymity which gives you space to have fun rather than work.  When I am on my main (this) I work and when I want to play, it's hard to leave my work behind so, I use an alt.

It really gives you more freedom to have fun but it is nice to have a test account to double check things though I rarely use my alt for that anymore.

One big advantage is that people know the "Builder" account isn't a "Participant", so you can log in with the builder account and repair or upgrade stuff, while no one is expecting you to RP with them in that guise. I can imagine that would be particularly useful in scenarios that allow combat.

I actually used to do something similar in real life. I was the admin for a 24 x 7 college computer lab, and when I was there on-duty, my door was always open for helping people and answering questions. I spent more time on the lab floor assisting people than doing upgrades or computer repairs, which were also among my duties. When I had something I needed to do, without interruptions, such as installing memory upgrades in the lab computers, I had a special purple t-shirt that I wore, that said "I am not here - this is a hologram". All my student employees and the students who used the lab knew when I had that shirt on, I was not to be disturbed. Worked pretty well, too!

You definitely want a separate alt doing the building. As soon as you start to build something, I guarantee, someone will come over and try to RP. If you are the owner, they'll also chat you up with questions or what have you. Of course, normaly you want both these things if you're not building.

Some people solve this by going 'busy' but I've heard people complain the owner should have more time for them.. It's a dilemma. Sometimes I IM people and apologize and say, I'm sorry, I just can't RP because I need to get something done. Some people just are really put off by this, though.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.