Does a rolling restart rollback a sim to an earlier time of the day automatically ?

Renee Redgrave

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Rolling restarts (rolling across the grid) are the way Linden Labs updates the server code. In the OLD days, the whole world (much smaller then) was offline while they preformed this maintenance. Now it is often on Tuesdays but can be another time. A "roll BACK" takes a sim back to an earlier time and I believe sim owners need to turn in a ticket or talk to conceirge in order for this to happen. You could ask your sim owner if there was a rollback, or if you were on the mainland you might be able to get the answer from support (premium members).

A rolling restart most often takes the sim into the "future" (insert smile here). Once in a great while the last update of the server code gets removed in favor of an earlier version, but that doesn't happen often these days.

If you have something that stopped working, you may be able to get it going again by resetting the scripts if you are able. If not, you might want to contact the creator and see if they will replace your broken model. Things do break. My bathtub stopped working one time and a replacement was the only way to have it back in working condition.

If you think something isn't working any more on a particular sim, you should test it on another sim before thinking it is because of a sim roll.  Sometimes the sims are set up slightly differently which can knock things a little out of kilter, so it doesn't necessarily mean the item is broken. 

• Like 1

I think that when sims get restarted as part of a rolling restart, they get restarted using a snapshot taken shortly before they went offline for the update -- that's the point of the warnings about not-rezzing  non-copy items.   Certainly I've a few times returned to a sim that's been restarted like that and found that the last five or ten minutes' worth of building I did just before the restart has vanished. 

What happened, exactly, with your item?   You bought it and it stopped working.   Was it rezzed on the sim and it wasn't working after the restart?   And what sort of item was it -- I'm just wondering if there's a specific reason you suspect it was the restart that caused the problems.   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.