Is Firestorm usable for anyone?

Suki Hirano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just installed Firestorm and it's pretty much completely unusable for me. The textures on avatars (clothing and skin) as well as the weather (sky, clouds, etc) turn completely black when zooming in even on high graphics settings, but look fine if I zoom way out. I'm unable to start any group chats whatsoever even while standing on a completely empty sandbox, keeps having some "unable to initialize chat" error. As a cherry on top, sculpties do not display correctly at all even if I have objects setting set to max.

I know Firestorm is still in beta, but are these symptoms normal? I mean it doesn't look even remotely usable at this point...

I really hope they don't remove Phoenix from the grid.

I've been using Firestorm Mesh Beta 3.0.1.22566 since it was released. Works fine for me.

ETA: One issue that I do have, which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with Firestorm and may instead be a mouse issue: occasionally my camera will zoom wayyyyyy out, usually when I'm trying to zoom in on something.

There are a lot of people happily using Firestorm, but it's not working for everyone without some teething problems unfortunately.  I'd advise you join the Phoenix/Firestorm Viewer support group (you can find this on my profile inworld listed in my groups), and ask specific questions there. They are a very helpful bunch.

If you're enjoying Phoenix for the moment, then stick with that, as I'm doing.  It is still being tweaked, and mesh is also being added to Phoenix soon, so it will be around for a little while longer.

I'm having no noteworthy problems with the Firestorm Mesh beta, on a Win XP system. Everything looks fine, and I get a good frame rate. It performs better for me than the Viewer 3 or V3 Development viewers do. It still has issues importing mesh, but therer's very little else that I have been unable to do with it.

"It performs better for me than the Viewer 3 or V3 Development viewers do."

Agreed, provided you're talking about the LL-V3 and V3-dev viewers.  On a benchmark-basis, the V3-based Nirans Viewer (Build 8 beta 2) shows a much better framerate than FS, even with all the eyecandy.  At first this struck me as odd, as Niran himself said that it was based on the LL V3 core, until I found out that Dave had been plugging-away at the render pipeline, to get things running smoother; it seems to have worked.

Cheers! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.