Why the difference in Land IMpact?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Earlier, I noticed that a more or less the same chair uploaded with LI of 2 and then 6 -- after talking to Nacy, she suggested the difference might be in the UV map -- the first I did not have one, the second had a lot of islands.

So I made a different UV map with only 5 islands, and at upload it is about half a prim, rounds up to 1. Apply UV map, looks good.

But I notice a couple of vertices that need tweaking so  I do that.  Save new UV map, etc. -- but this time the LI is 3.

The only difference I am aware of is the position of two vertices.

Any clue?

Are you using auto generated LODs? The generator is non-deterministic and can give different results on repeated applications to the same input. It shouldn't make such a big difference though. Is the highest weight in each case the download weight or the physics weight (More Info link)? In some circumstances small changes can make quite substantial differences to the physics weight. How are you making the physics shape?

When attempting an upload the viewer will roll a 20 sided dice to decide what to do.

1-4 Viewer crashes

5 Spit random error

6- 14 Grey out "calculate weights & fee" button

15 PE/Land Impact + 1-3

16 PE/Land Impact - 1-3

17-18 Reject Phys shape

19-20 Make random hickup that is not documented anywhere and takes at least a day to figure out

Must be your rolls.... :matte-motes-evil-invert:

I don't think UV maps have anything to do with this. Drongle has it right, I think. If the generated LOD is the lowest, then you will see drastic changes in your land impact. Even 10 more verts being rendered can easily change your land impact 1 or more, depending on the model and size. I've uploaded the same model, with tiny changes dozens of times now, and it is always different, the main difference is always going to be the lowest LOD, and being that it affects your land impact the most, it really does seem wacky at times.

Nowadays, when I do make my own LODs, I'm usually only making the lowest. That is generally because the generator does not have enough verts to degrade the model evenly without totally taking away whole parts of the mesh structure. For my meshes, the generator has more than enough verts to degrade the model decently at medium and low, to fiddle around and get really good LODS for it. Plus, I don't have to worry about the mapping, which is always the tricky part.

• 2 weeks later...

Aveline Stein wrote:

When attempting an upload the viewer will roll a 20 sided dice to decide what to do.

1-4 Viewer crashes

5 Spit random error

6- 14 Grey out "calculate weights & fee" button

15 PE/Land Impact + 1-3

16 PE/Land Impact - 1-3

17-18 Reject Phys shape

19-20 Make random hickup that is not documented anywhere and takes at least a day to figure out

Must be your rolls....
:matte-motes-evil-invert:

This is so true. Lol. Some hours ago I did upload an object and had 30 landimpact. I went to the kitchen and cooked.. maybe 40 minutes later I did upload exactly the same file with same values... the landimpact was now 60. I did make again a brake and few minutes agO the same game... but now the object has 90 landimpact.

So really... the uploader seems to be borked. I dont know why it spits out so differend values. Maybe its depending on the time? lol. No I bet there is really a dice.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.