people see me as online when I am not online and when I log in, I don't have a friends list or group

Lolene Quicksand

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Today, I have encountered a problem that I have never seen before.  I can't get online and tp anywhere whithout being booted, my conmmunicator does not show any friends' names, but does show online status, and the group list is empty.  People who know me say I am showing as online even when I am not online.  How can that be?

I have sl commitments that I cannot take care of so long as this problem persists.

I need help quickly

2 answers to this question

You have a connection issue that may be related to https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25426? .  As I read the reports in that JIRA, it seems to me that people who have had this problem have traced it to a failing router.  You can try a couple of things first:

(1) Try simply rebooting your router.  Unplug it from the power for a few minutes.  When you come back and plug it in, the router's RAM will have been cleared and it will be able to get a fressh grip on an IP address. 

(2) Change your DNS settings from whatever your ISP assigns you as a default. Use Google's free public DNS servers instead. Here's how >>> http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

(3) Here's an obscure hint from a previous thread that may be worth trying : "Log on to your router and choose ADSL settings on the left hand menu.  Change  Multiplexing Method from VC based to LLC based. "

(4) If these things do not work, I'd suggest adding your own comments to the JIRA that I referenced above, including all details about the make and model of your router.  That will help LL's developers as they try to find the root of the problem.   You may be in the market for a new router.

Lolene, I have had a message from a friend inworld. They tell me you were going to reset the router/modem, but you were still showing as being online status to them.

Are you a Premium Customer? If so, please make use of Live Chat? This is the link...

https://support.secondlife.com/start-chat/

They are open from 8am until 8pm SL time, and it is type/text contact, not voice.  Tell them you are showing as being online to people, even when you are offline, and your issues with being unable to teleport, etc.

My friend inworld said something about connection problems at your end? And I think it is possible some of your avatar's data has got stuck inworld.  Live Chat might be able to release the stuck presence.

Anyway, I will try and log in to world in about an hour's time, and if I still see you are having problems, I will try and help more.

Edited to add:

The next time you log out/crash.  Please will you relog to a different location.  Change the start location on your log in screen to a sim called Furball, and then teleport back home from there.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.