What Can be Done..

Jenny Snakeankle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If anyone can help..be greatly appreciated.  My SL/RL bf and I rented a 1/4 sim on a private island.  after a while we decided to move to a different location (better traffic/etc), my bf put "not renewing" on the rental box.  The island owner reclaimed the lot immediately and set up for resale.  We had over 2 weeks of rent left on it (4999/wk).  We both have asked for a refund, and for our trouble got banned from all sims owned by that person.  He has filed an A/R (as he was the initial renter), and of course have asked nicely.  Can anyone help me?

Ouch!

If something like this happened in real life, you could take the person to a Small Claims Court and attempt to get your money back, but it often is not worth a person's while to do this, unless they have absolute evidence against another.

In Second Life it seems you have done what you can by filing an AR, but I doubt whether LL will want to get involved with this, as it appears to be a resident to resident dispute. However, if the same thing has happened to other renters, then you would have a case.

I know this is not a minute amount of money to lose, but I fear you may have to put this down to experience.

Also, I have looked at your profile inworld, and you might find yourself getting a warning/suspension from LL on grounds of attempting to defame your ex-landlord's name in your picks if someone ARs you.

I agree with Marigold's assessment.  Remove the stuff from your profile.  You will be AR'ed and you will not get your money back (anyway).  In perhaps thinking you were doing your landlord a favor by informing them as soon as you could that you are moving, it backfired on you.  I moved from one location to another and I moved all of my stuff first before informing the landlord.  I still had two weeks left on my tier but I  gave it up because I found another great place to buy.  I did not expect a refund.

Chalk this one up to experience and move on.  Enjoy your SL.

You can still be AR'd, whether your claims are true or not. I believe they are, but it's kind of he-said/she-said as to what exactly happened, and your former landlord could easily claim that you were slandering him/her.

Some people are more trustworthy and reliable than others. Unfortunately, it looks like you got a bad landlord. As others have said, you really have to take it as a learning experience, learn from it, and move on. I also second the vote for removing the statements from your profile, if you haven't alreayd. It's just more trouble than it's worth to keep it. If you feel the need to discuss it, rant about it, and sepcifically name the person/business, then do so in your personal blog. You have every right to do so, of course, and in your place I'd want to, most definitely, but you can't do so in SL or on the SL forums without risking an AR.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.