Can anyone recommend a good safe place to get this video driver?

Ceka Cianci

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's for an MSI NX8600GT-T2D256EZ 256MB PCI-Express Graphics Card  for windows 7 32-bit 

msi-nx8600gtst2d256ez-tn6.jpg

There are a lot of places to get drivers..but i just don't want to get them from someplace that may be having any kind of spy or maleware to come with them..

also maybe a good version driver...

i don't think i have the one for this card but just the one from the nividia site itself..this is the version i have now

NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

7/9/2010

i'm looking to see if there is a really good specific driver for this version of MSI's 8600GT

thank you =)

Luca Coeur wrote:

NVidia lists 280.26 released at 2011.08.09 as the most recent driver. If it is better suited for your card I don't know and can't say anything about it as I don't use Windows and I have an AMD/ATI card...

Just for convenience - the DL link:

thank you i will look at that =)

thanks for replying so quickly :)

MSI is the licensed manufacturer for that nVidia card.  Like EVGA, or FX...........there are no MSI specific drivers.  The nVidia driver download site is the best place to get your driver.  It's safe, too. 

The best way to limit the chances of getting malware/virus infected files from downloads (programs, drivers, anything) is to save to your hard drive then scan with your anti-virus/malware security software before installing on your computer.  I do that even for known safe sites.

chipset isn't the only implementation detail on a graphics card and licensed manufacturers are only required to meet general standards. many choose to streamline some aspects in favor of others. The drivers from them will usually take best advantage of the that streamlining.

that's not to say that the generic drivers won't work, they will, that's the whole point of licensing, to set a base standard. but the specific drivers may take better advantage of any streamlining that's been done, even over newer generic drivers. Hence my suggestion.

PS
not the case here, but with notebooks graphics chips this is even more pronounced, since more implementation details are left up to the manufacturer, and sometime the generic drivers won't work at all, although that problem is becoming less common

I've never seen drivers for video cards on a licensed manufacturer's site.  Not that I actually looked for them but I do look at the card manufacturers' sites when shopping for video cards.  If you buy a retail card from MSI (or any card manufacturer) I don't think you are going to see a driver specific to that card on their site..........but, like I said, I've never actually looked.

In most cases video drivers for laptops must be gotten at the manufacturer of the laptop's site due to the customization of the drivers that are specfic to the laptop.......not necessarily the adapter.

Void Singer wrote:

PS

not the case here, but with notebooks graphics chips this is even more pronounced, since more implementation details are left up to the manufacturer, and sometime the generic drivers won't work at all, although that problem is becoming less common

If I go to the NVidia website to check for driver updates for my Vaio Laptop, NVidia specifically suggests that I go to Sony's website to check for / get updates.

flagship cards in a line that are tweaked being more likely to have it than the regular lines... but it is becoming more rare since the current licensing scheme was adopted, as specs become tighter, and specific manufacturers cut back development in favor of letting the provider do it.  they are relying more and more on details like material durability, cooling systems, and support to give their brand it's edge over competitors.

It's been that way for years.  That's why the licensed manufacturers don't get specific drivers for their products (I'm not completely sure they ever did, in fact).  And that's the reason to get your drivers from either nVidia or AMD (used to be ATI) driver download sites.  The exception being for laptops due to the needs of specific models that the laptop producers put into their machines (things like graphic auto-switching or conservation of battery power or small spaces creating heating issues).  Desktop cards don't have those needs so they don't need card manufacturers specific drivers.  About the only somewhat "useful" purpose I can think of is some nifty splash screen when you launch the card setup utility.........and, in my opinion, that's nothing but advertisement with a very heavy maintenance load (not cost effective at all).

ETA:

This thread just jumped from page 2 back to page 1...........finally, it looks like moderation is being done as the spam is coming in.  Great work, Mike (or whoever is doing it:matte-motes-big-grin: )

wow thank severyone =)

it's been so long since i did the drivers to see if there were any updates..i can't even remember if they were from nividia site or the disk that came with the card or which hehehe..but this sure helped a lot ..

thannk you all for the great advice =)

i just was curious to see if maybe i can get a little more from my video card if i can..that is if their drivers will work better with it..

i've been having some frame rate issues lately..so i was thinking an update  is due..

i could run on ultra before with no problems and have shadows..now it won't even let me get shadows hehehehe

but then again..viewers  have been updated a lot since we put it in..

i'm sure it's getting close to new computer time also i guess lol

this is becoming an every 2 or 3 year thing  hehehehe

Good to hear you got what you wanted, Ceka.  If you haven't updated your drivers in a while, take the time to read the FAQ's on the download site before you update.  nVidia no longer say to remove your old driver before installing the new one (they used to) but I'm old school.......do it anyway.  It will save potential headaches if your new driver gets corrupted by old driver data winding up in the wrong spot.  Also, don't expect any miracles in the performance.........your card is pretty old as far as video cards are concerned and the design of the chipset can only perform to the max it was designed for about 4 years ago.  The 8600 GT is a good card for SL.  It's biggest downfall is that it runs pretty hot under load so watch those temps (get some hardware monitoring software).  Pushing it to shadows might put the card at risk of overheating on you.  I had one..........I burned it up and I was conscious of the heating issues.  Be careful.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.