Prim vs. painted nails

Ariel Vuissent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I love my skin, but hate the nails. They're jagged and odd-looking, and I thought they ruined the look of the rest of my avi, so I bought prim nails. I have several sets now, and LOVE them! But lately I've seen a rise in painted nailpolish, rather than prim nails. I can't remember exactly where I was the other day, but I kept seeing painted nail polish, everywhere I looked! It looks like maybe a glove layer, or possibly a tattoo layer.

So what do you all think? Do you use any kind of nail/nail polish, and if so, do you prefer prim or painted nails? Do prim nails on other people annoy you, for some reason? Why? Do you not like or use either?

ETA: It's possible I'm wildly mistaken, and what I thought were painted nails were in fact prim. I don't think so, but you never know...

Painted nails on glove layer is usually no better than the nails you have on your skin. I think I only found one or two barely useable of all the ones I tried. I prefer short prim nails in French Manicure for a natural look. 

Another thing is that the prim nails often include a glove layer with fingertips you can tint to cover the painted nails. One or two skin creators has started to include this with the skins they sell. And kudos to them for that, every small thing that give me more time I can spend on fun stuff in SL is welcome.

The plus I can see about using glove layer polish is that it moves with you. I've had trouble with poses that spread the fingers, and then the prim nails are unusable because they're so badly out of alignment with the fingers. But otherwise, I think the prim nails are much more realistic and attractive. Thanks for your thoughts and experiences; good to know before I buy painted nails that they still don't really help much with the skin nails.

A lot of that has to do with the animations priority settings and how they made that animation.  Prim nails have an animation in them that locks your hands.

Your hands needs to stay static for prim nails to work which is an easily made animation but how it's uploaded has a lot to do with the priority as does the animations you are using in your AO, seats, etc.  A good AO wont override this.

As I said above though, you will want to check out which ones work right for you as some don't.  

I just picked up some Mandala nails; they're so lovely I couldn't resist! I do wish they had the second color palette in a short version, though. Still, beautiful. I originally favored Sexy Mamas nails, but a few months ago bought some gorgeous ones from TGIS, and those are what I wear almost exclusively now (before I bought the Mandala ones, which I may like better...). I like having multiple sets, though, since they all have different colors and designs.

I've been using glove layer painted nails & I'm not entirely satisfied with them. I've shied away from the prim nails because I understand that they have to be edited to fit. If anyone knows of any nice looking, inexpensive, easy to fit prim nails (yeah, right, huh?) I'd like to know.

Jeanne

What size are your hands? Most prim nail makers make their nails to fit certain sizes; the most common I've seen are 0, 10, and 20 on the slider. This makes them extremely easy to fit; just wear the ones in the appropriate size.

ETA: For inexpensive, try TGIS or Sexy Mamas. TGIS are the cheaper of the two, and I love them. Only $199L for the glitter pack on the marketplace (I'm not sure about instore, probably the same), and they're gorgeous. They also have a safari pack (not quite to my personal taste, but lovely nonetheless) and a bridal pack that is not on the marketplace but can be found in their inworld store. I have the bridal and glitter packs, and they're both awesome.The bridal nails come in size 10 and 20; the glitter come in 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30. Not sure about the safari. Sexy Mamas are just under $300L, and you get a lot of colors (and most of the packs are a bit more neutral than the TGIS colors).

The most easy way is to edit your hands so they match the standard sizes. Most sell nails in 0, 10, 20, 30 hand sizes. Some also sell 5, 15, 25. So if your hands is size 22, you could try to set them to 20 and see if you can live with it. Then all size 20 nails should fit. Fingertip gloves to cover your default nails can be something you must edit yourself. Some include several shades with their nails, like [PM]. Or you can just drop the fingertip gloves, it's hard to see the default nails unless you zoom in. The [PM] Sculpted Nails- Platinum Edition V2 is what I use most for shorter nails.

Thanks to everyone so far for your responses! So far it seems prim nails are the way to go, which reassures me that I'm not horribly out of style or doing something wrong ^_^ I picked up a few new sets of prim nails thanks to various suggestions, and passed over the (much too expensive) painted nails. I'm happy with my decision, so thank you for all the adivce! Other opinions welcome, of course ^_^

ETA: JeanneAnne, the easiest way to color match the nail-hiding gloves, if you choose to use them, is to rez a pose stand and stand on it, then zoom in close to the hands. Use "show color under cursor" (in Firestorm it's under the develop menu, which you reach through the advanced menu) and hover your cursor on one of your fingers, just under the nail. I used the side of the finger, rather than the top or bottom. Then edit the gloves, edit the color, and input the values you just got from "show color under cursor." This only works if your nailbase glove layer is white and tintable; both Sexy Mamas and Pixel Mode nails come with a white, tintable nailbase. (If you have a popular skin and buy the PM nails, they also have nailbases configured with popular skin values, as Marianne said.)

I've had success with one pair of gloves nails and I wear those when I'm not wearing the prim nails. 

The prim nails do "break" occasionally with sitting poses, like my rocking chairs for instance.  However, I've luckily been able to reset them.  The prim nails do not "break" with an AO or dancing, thank goodness!

I love the nails!  Just love them!  A few glove nails are nice if you can find them.  The prim nails are addicting :matte-motes-bashful:

They really are... ^_^;; I had at least 7 sets before yesterday; then bought at least 5 more. I love them! Love them all ^_^

If you're able, would you mind sending me the name or landmark of the store(s) you found your usable glove nails in? For poses that "break" the prim ones, it would be nice to have some glove ones so my nails can still look semi-decent.

None of the prim one's I've used "break with any of my AO's, or with dancing, just in poses that force the hands to spread. (Or when SL glitches and forces the spread hands...) I did take a picture sitting on a pile of leaves for the fall thread (I think that's where I posted it) and had to take off the prim nails because the pose spread the fingers. I'm so addicted to my prim nails, I don't know what I'd do if my AO broke them!

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

They really are...
^_^
;; I had at least 7 sets before yesterday; then bought at least 5 more. I love them! Love them all
^_^

If you're able, would you mind sending me the name or landmark of the store(s) you found your usable glove nails in? For poses that "break" the prim ones, it would be nice to have some glove ones so my nails can still look semi-decent.

None of the prim one's I've used "break with any of my AO's, or with dancing, just in poses that force the hands to spread. (Or when SL glitches and forces the spread hands...) I did take a picture sitting on a pile of leaves for the fall thread (I think that's where I posted it) and had to take off the prim nails because the pose spread the fingers. I'm so addicted to my prim nails, I don't know what I'd do if my AO broke them!

I found them on Marketplace months ago, but I think this is them in the link and also you can see them if you click on my name on my avatar badge here it will bring up my picture and I think I am wearing these in the link in that pic and they are glove.  I say think because I bought them months ago, but for 10 lins, these might be worth a try.  Again, click on my name to see my pic in my pictures area.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Simple-White-Nails/829695

ETA:  Yes, I think these are them.  ^^^^^^^^^^ They are great for your "default" nails as there is no need to tint the glove; just chose wear, and you're done.  (I just bought a pair of French manicure nails with gloves just now and I have to tint, and there is no way I am taking the time to tint the gloves.  I won't even use those.  But the link I gave you above for glove nails has no tinting needed and there are several colors and no tinting needed.  YAY N STUFF!.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.