Virus Protection Recomendations for SL

Rival Destiny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this is the correct place to start this topic so I appologize in advance if it's not.

My IP has incuded virus protection software, FSecure for thse past years & they have now decided to change to McAfee - I'm absolutely po'd & would love some recomendations from others on vp software.

Any advice reommendations are greatly appreciated!

not a fan of McAfee's nor Avast's free version (although the latter is better IMO), and I face palm when people tell me they use Norton (oh how the mighty have fallen and are now being trampled)

Avira has really surprised me in the last few years, maintaining a detection rate in the top three for their free product, minimally intrusive resources usage (my second biggest problem with Avast aside from it's slowness), and not spammy about it's free status (a single window once a day when it updates it's definitions). it's also stayed mostly off the radar for virus writers. it is however horrible is you want to know anything about the virus it detected, but false positive are so low, that's rarely an issue.

ANY browser besides IE on a windows machine is better than IE for security purposes (not going to touch any other aspect). If you need feature extensibility go with Firefox or Chrome, if you don't Opera should do. I personally find Firefox an improvement in compatibility over Chrome with slightly more premade extensions. I also would recommend against installing java or .net plugins for any browser unless you absolutely need them (even then, turn them off when you don't need them), as they're a continual target of attacks.

I personally use a combination of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Spybot S&D and have yet to run into any problems (going on 3 years now).

I tried Avast and AVG and they worked well but for some reason or another SL wouldn't run properly or very laggy with them.

I used to use NOD32 but my license ran out and when I tried the demo of the newer version (try it before you buy it) it caused the same lag problems as Avast and AVG.

Norton and McAfee should be avoided at all costs, they in them selves seem to be made up to make people spend money.

I scanned a clean file I had on a flash drive with every AV on the market (with current virus definitions) and none of got a hit on it except for those two.

Microsoft Security Essentials is free and pretty good.

I use NOD32 by Eset. I find it way faster than Norton and McAfee. Some of the big kids are in a feature race. I find Norton brings anything but the newest and fastest computers to their knees.

You can Google up AV reviews for the 'current' best AV.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4582 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.