Setting permissions

Jacki Silverfall

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Jacki I am not absolutely sure, but since animations cannot be uploaded to people's computers there is no reason to make them no mod. (Also, if you plan to sell them, people like to be able to name them.)

You have to tick either transfer or copy, though there are ways to make something have no perms, but there are not many things you want to make permless.

It can not be both no copy and no transfer. SL does not allow this intentionaly. The reasoning is similar to "right of first sale" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine

In short, you have a right to resell or gift something you bought when there is only a single copy of it. And, you have a right to make copies of something which is not possible to resell or gift.

It has no effect on the actual permissions of the individual components of the product though. It may be no perms in inventory, but you can still rez it, take out the anim and transfer or copy. It's a right in SL that can't be taken away.

Beware of licenses which say you must not do either, they are unenforceable.

Yep, that's what I meant -- they don't really care about whether you tick mod or not, as long as you don't have both trans and copy ticked.  (They don't want someone to buy a chair from you, see that the animations are copy/trans, and start giving away or selling the animations themselves.)

I understand that the permissions will not be affected by SLM listing (thank God, since that is subject to borking).

The advantage to showing no  permission, though, is that the listing at least deters people looking for items with permissions.

OTOH, I have sold copies of the plywood box default object listed as having no permissions.

OTOH OTOH, no one has complained about the transfer permission being turned on.

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

That's the thing though, SL won't let me just tick Modify. It has to be mod/ copy or mod/ trans.
:/

Pulls hair out!

Ticking just Modify would make it Mod/No Copy/No Trans ... which is why you can't do it.

If your final item is Copyable: What you want ticked is just Copy, leaving Mod and Trans unticked. That will make it Copy only and prevent tranferring it to anyone else.

If your final item is Transferrable: What you want ticked are Mod and Trans, leaving Copy unticked. That will make it Transferrable but not copyable thus your customer can have only one of them but may resell it to someone else if desired.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.