Dore Welcome Center vortex?

Ricky40

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question, there seems to be a sim crossing line right in the middle of the welcome area, I believe it is called Dore. When Isit on one side of the line in the park, I can sit and drink my cofee. When I cross the line I get the message that theya re running a different simulator, and my avatar will not stop walking. IS there something wrong with my viewer? Everyone else I see there seems to be fine. Anyone have any ideas?

As Void said, that welcome area, which is mostly referred to as Ahern Welcome Area, is at the corner of 4 sims & if you walked around that central planter you would actually cross 4 sim walls.

If you switch on "show property lines" in your world menu, you will see the red lines that are the crossings from one sim to another & it can stop you from stepping over them accidentally. You can also hover your cursor over the 4 sims on the world map and see how many people are standing on each one & if you are lagging badly, hop over onto the one with least people on it.

As each sim can hold 40 people, potentially you could have 160 people at that welcome area, though there is rarely even close to that, it does get very busy sometimes & avoiding the busiest sim can save you from getting kicked offline when that sim crashes...which they quite often do LOL So don`t be surprised if you are standing there sometime and one or more quarters just vanish & becomes ocean hehe :D

Thank you for the great info! Also, I tried the tele porting trick, rather than walking across the sime lines there, and it worked a little bit. How ever, I found if I set on one bench I could drink my coffee, if I sat on the other bench, the scrip in the coffee cup would not work. 

Ricky40 wrote:

How ever, I found if I set on one bench I could drink my coffee, if I sat on the other bench, the scrip in the coffee cup would not work. 

Its been a while since I was over there, but if I recall scripts are switched off on 3 out of 4 of the sims. Next time you are there, look at the icons at the top of your screen, you will probably see an extra one on the sims that don`t let you drink coffee. :)

Void Singer wrote:

the main welcome area is at the corner of 4 regions (Dore, Ahern, and I forget the other two)....

if one is being lagged by griefers it's very common to have problems crossing from one to another

This must be a noob question but I just have to ask.  If you are close to a sim border can you "hear" chat taking place just on the other side on another sim but still close enough to be within chat distance.  I ask because on an OpenSim me and someone were within a few meters of each other but could communicate by IM only because there was a sim line between us.

Knutz Scorpio wrote:

Void Singer wrote:

the main welcome area is at the corner of 4 regions (Dore, Ahern, and I forget the other two)....

if one is being lagged by griefers it's very common to have problems crossing from one to another

This must be a noob question but I just have to ask.  If you are close to a sim border can you "hear" chat taking place just on the other side on another sim but still close enough to be within chat distance.  I ask because on an OpenSim me and someone were within a few meters of each other but could communicate by IM only because there was a sim line between us.

In general you wouldn`t know there was a sim wall there from what you can see or hear. As you have probably noticed at Ahern you can see local chat for people on the other sims & even hear their voice chat.

There are some things that are affected, you can be standing right next to an object that is the other side of a sim wall & it won`t let you sit on it, you get the message that you are too far away or in a different region. You would hear different things on the audio.music, unless the landowners had the same stream URL on both sims/parcels.

There is also a new privacy feature that has been added (on About Land >Options) which allows a landowner to make their parcel private & if that is switched on, you could have 2 people standing either side of a parcel/sim line and be almost touching & not be able to see of hear each other.

Void Singer wrote:

I thought voice was limited to in-region (and in parcel if it's set)?

Voice can be set to estate or parcel channel, mainland sims are all the same estate (called Mainland) so if they are set to estate channel you will hear people on other sims. At Ahern you can hear all 4.

If you had 2 private sims joined together but on different estates, you wouldn`t be able to hear across the sim wall there, so good point Void. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.