Removing items from inventory

nikita Jefferson

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i have followed these instructions to try and remove numerous items from my " manage inventory " page, but they will not show as "item unavailable" for me to delete

Removing a listing

To remove a listing, first remove it from your Magic Box inworld:

1. In the Second Life Viewer, right-click your Magic Box and choose Edit.
  2. In the build tools window, click the Content tab.
  3. Click the item you want to remove, and press the Delete key. Alternatively, right-click the item and choose Delete.
  4. Wait for the Magic Box to refresh.

Next, remove the listing from your Marketplace store:

1. Login to the Marketplace and choose My Marketplace > My Store (upper-right).
  2. Click Manage inventory. The item should have a status of "Item unavailable." If the item's status is not showing as "Item unavailable," click the Sync Marketplace with Magic Boxes button.
  3. Next to the item listing you want to remove, click Delete.

Is there another way to go about it,or will i have to wait untill it descides to update

nikita,

Go to the Merchant Home Page (Dashboard) in Marketplace then choose Inventory > Magic Box Status. If it stops you and reminds you that XStreet is closed, click Cancel to continue on to XStreet anyway.

At the very bottom of that page, in the left-hand column, double check that the Servers listed are those you know about. Force an update on each of them (while watching them in-world) if they are. If you spot one in the list that you didn't remember or know about, there's your problem. You can go to the Rogue Magic Box and fix it or remove it to elminate the ghost items. If a Magic Box is listed that doesn't really exist anymore, Force Remove it from that page.

If the list matches what you know and you have forced an update for each of them then go back to the Dashboard in Marketplace, choose Inventory > Manage Inventory and use the Sync Marketeplace with Magic Boxes button. Give it a few minutes after clicking the button then refresh or reload the Manage Inventory page.

Josh Susanto wrote:

And if it still doesn't go fast enough, what then?

Click everything again?

Faster?

Harder?

What?

(tl;dr warning)

No, if it doesn't work then we study the evidence and formulate a new theory of failure. It's standard Tech Support practice Josh. Over time you develop an understanding of the system, its operation and its failure modes.

Perhaps it's because you've never done systems level design and diagnosis, or perhaps believing in malefactors and conspiracy makes it easier. But whatever the reasons or evidence behind your belief system, I have a different one for myself.

I understand the Magic Box system to a very high degree. I've designed and developed similar systems and I've worked with this one for several years now. Insde my head is a model of how it works and how it is connected .. and how to influence it to perform better.

We have different views and understandings of the same physical system ... very similar to the two opposing views of the Universe. One view is based on the measurable, quantifiable and mathematically provable view. The other is based on the empirical, acceptance of "hidden hands" and belief in a higher power that may or may not be acting for the betterment.

While I don't agree with your "solution" to the behaviors, I at least respect it and understand why you have formed it. I even acknowledge that, for you, it is working out well and continues to prove itself to your satisfaction. But I just cannot accept it as the "way things work" for myself. My "solution" works for me, and has worked well for quite some time too. I suffer very very few delivery failures, and when I want to accomplish something (such as the removal of a listing like nikita wants in her OP), I can make it happen rapidly and without failure or problems.

Both of us run into situations where our "universal truth" views fall down and fail to work as expected. That always happens in any system that is not yet fully understood. It doesn't matter whether that understanding is the math and science behind the system, or a full understanding of the hidden hands and their agenda. The goal for both you and me, and the goal for nikita, is to make it do something we want.

With nikita's goal in mind, In my view of the universe there are still things we can try. When my "incantations and rituals" are exhausted, I will admit defeat. But that time hasn't arrived yet .. and until it does I ask that you let me do the steering .. in hopes we get nikita's problem resolved. Because really, isn't that what we both want .. the system to work and do what we want?

I'm no longer having the problems as before, but all that's changed since I was last having them is that I no longer keep back-up boxes in advertised sim rental spaces.

For there to be a persistent problem for which this is a solution, in almost direct contradiction to the instructions provided (see also my explanation of faultiness of the instruction to delete before delisting), the 3 available hypotheses are:

A: that a bunch of the world's most qualified programmers are just too plain stupid to do anything about it

B: that they essentially don't care, even though it means frustrated, pissed-off users and less total economic activity 

C: that someone wants things the way they are

I'm not a religious or superstitious person, and I'm not "invested" in the belief that C is the only explanation that can possibly make any sense. I think gambling and lotteries are a waste of money and a punishment for people who choose to be bad at math and deny basic statistical principles. I think astrology and similar things, harmless as they are, are essentially bunk, although I suppose it's possible I'm wrong (shrugging). 

Explanations that involve an invisible hand run counter to my own basic assumptions about how the world works. Even in documented historical "conspiracies", I tend to question whether there was ever really any explicit meeting of the minds. I reject the common conception of evolution as a teleological process, and I consider things like "consciousness" and "intention" to be incidental footnotes to natural selection for advantageous behavioral tropisms.

I do not favor explanation C because it gives me a warm feeling that somehow there is a logical causal order to everything, such as people seem to get by assigning the deaths of babies and such to "work of the Devil". That doesn't work for me. I think the universe, as a whole, is essentially pointless and that anything that seems to have some kind of point to it is an emergent, transient phenomenon. I believe that, because chaos cannot emerge spontaneously from order, we must understand the existence of both things as evidence that order emerges from chaos and does so only incidentally. There are no unseen supernatural forces out to get me. People mostly create problems for each other without even realizing it. I get that. We are clots of kludged-up plankton, surfing on entropy to no destination much more grandiose than maybe the next viable swell, and if most people didn't have opposable thumbs, most people woudn't miss them. 

Moreover: I think you overestimate the amount of credit I give my fellow meat bags in terms of being able to do much more than eat, sleep, poop, and (accidentally) make more of themselves. 

So when I say that I favor explanation C, it's not even because I think A and B are better or worse reflections on LL employees. It's just because, in spite of my larger opinion that human potential is wasted on humanity, but that there's no reason to care anyway, neither A nor B is really any easier to believe than C, and that C is less inconsistent with a persitent pattern of things that no team of computer technicians, anywhere, should seem to be naturally incompetent enough to produce by accident.

When I was in boarding school. There was a guy named Drake who spilled 3 glasses of milk on the same day, at different meals. All 3 times, the milk hit the same guy named Alex. Drake acted very convincingly like all 3 incidents were pure clumsiness. They even looked that way to people who saw them happen.

But the next day, Alex wouldn't sit at Drake's table.

Can you blame him?

Gut feelings aside, what should Alex have expected?

If Drake keeps spilling the same milk on the same kid, why should we even care that maybe it really is unintentional?

Even before Alex decides to do something about it, shouldn't Drake do something about it?

And if he choses not to do something, what is reasonable to conclude from his decision?

LL is not fixing these problems.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.