Starting an Apartment Business. Need a Rental System for It

Mitchell Indigo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone:

I am in the process of opening up a 4 story apartment building that contains 8 apartments as well as a community lounge.  I am needing a rental system that will allow the tenants to be invited to the residents group so that they can rez without them waiting for me to invite them, I would also like a system that can make it so that they can control door locks without me needing to get them setup.  Also, I want it to have a prim tracker as well.  If there is anyone who can help me,please contact me in world.

Thank You

Mitchell Indigo

Just out of curiosity, how do you plan on overcoming the limitation that SL doesn't do any sort of vertical partitioning of parcel rights? If you have a 4-story building, and 4 apartments stacked one above another on each floor, the apartments that share the same footprint projected to ground level will have the same media stream, the same access rights, and a shared prim count. So... What is to prevent the dweller in apartment 101 from using all the prims allocated to apartments 201, 301 and 401? Will all the apartments, as well as the community lounge, be situated so none of them overlap vertically?

Since prim count is dictated by parcel land area, how much empty parkland or hollow and unusable building shells are you planning to surround the apartments with, so sufficient prims will be available for each apartment?

Have you come up with a way to keep the dwellers in one apartment from hearing every word spoken in open chat by their neighbors within a 20 M radius, which would include the apartments above and below them for at least one floor, as well as to all sides of them?

I'm actually quite interested in any solutions you may have for overcoming those limitations. I have yet to see a "densely populated urban living" setting in SL that did a good job of simulating life in an apartment or a hotel or a big office building. The SL limitations on parcel functions are all aimed at single-story sprawling homes, with lots of empty land around them, and aren't well-adapted to modern multi-story structures at all.

All of these questions are explainable under lsl. You have to consider that the typical rights were never designed to be multifaceted. This is where lsl comes in. And please understand I will give examples of usage, but not the only usage for such items.

* Individualized media streams can be done in lsl and with a lower projection akin to having a t.v. in your own home.

* Access rights can be controlled by security systems that can simply "nudge" a person from the alotted apartment space. In a kind way saying you are not allowed to enter. Now say they sit to try and keep it from doing its "nudging". You can then just have it detect that its unable to "nudge" and eject the user.

* prim counting can be done via the standard control. It is by no means shared. Another method of deployability is adding to this a low lag sensor that scans every x time in x meters for x users objects. It then will take this scanned prim total and compare with the prim usage in the standard control. If it does not match can warn the user to only place within their apartment as well as land owner.

As far as talking this is something without a scripted object and being in open, you just have to use /whisper [what i want to say]. In truth 20 meters is a far distance for anyone in real life to consider it a room volume voice. I have always wanted LL to just design their chatbox to have a meter slider for projection. Other than that just use /whisper. Or try to ignore people that you overhear.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4772 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.