customises the library items and selling inworld or in market

Adria Yheng

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I'm sorry that I cannot understand your question.  However, perhaps you can find the answer by reading LL's official policy on Intellectual Property >>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Intellectual_Property .  If you would like to add more information to your question, just click on the Options link in its upper right corner and select EDIT.

BTW, whether an object is "full perm" refers only to whether you have the creator's permission to copy, mody, and share the item with another person.  The creator always retains intellectual property rights, regardless of what perms s/he may put on the item.

I guessed that much, which is why I posted the link to LL's Intellectual Property policy. I cannot answer her specific question, however, because I am not sure what she means by mentioning the new avatars. Those avatars that are in the Library >> Clothing folder are all LL creations, so LL (or their employees) hold the IP rights. If she is interested in modifying them for resale as her work, she'll have to deal directly with LL. We can't tell her whether it's OK or not.

After all, the second life library is there to be used as resources for all residents. We all have same items there with same permisions.. Selling them 'as it is" , in my opinion is not breaching intellectual copyright is simply stupidity..why should i buy an item from some seller when i have same thing in Library?

Customising items and sell .. is like car tunning..usually u can pay more than the value

of the car  and get just your car back..with a new face.. so "good upgrading" is sure

legally, as long u are not pretenting u are the original creator (is sad people do that a

lot in SL as in real life..for ex.  there is  a lot of skins in sl who use Eloh Eliot base

skins and sellers pretend they are the creators).

To be more specific, because i am sure it will be at least one person who will reply "i

cannot understand your post" i see the problem like that:

Take out from your library a vehitar . his creator designed as avatar but if u drop it to

the ground u have a full perm car/plane/bike. next step is to ad car/plane /bike script,

some uggly loud sound, change some colors, pieces, maybe use some spare parts from other

vehitars and ad them to you work. in the end your product can became a very nice vehicle.

Or.. i love the new gladiator avatar. u can ad some sheat/draw script to sword/shield from the back (u can also get the free full perm  warrior sword/hud from Life church, ad a some improvements to the boots and belt (they really need that), a chest plate etc. and have a nice warrior outfit u can sell it.. of course not pretending u are the original creator.

anyway, if your work look like a shit no one will buy it even is original creation, if the final resul will be great you deserve credit at least for your vision..

BTW.. full perm in SL  general acception means you can do anything yor brain can imagine with the products (copy , modify and sharing free or for some money.if a creator dont want you to sell his work he will just set it for no transfer.

Regulary they just dont want to be sold/share "at it is " with full perm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.