Why can't a prim's contents be like a miniature version of the inventory?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

We know that a prim in SL can contain items under the content tab. But suppose the contents of a prim contained folders and sub folders such as those in the inventory. And what if those folder trees to be visible from within the inventory? These prims could act as a form of storage for inventory items, making inventories load faster and contain shorter lists. These prims can be kept rezzed, or, if taken into the inventory, they can be opened and their content-tree can be visible and managed within the inventory. This should make loading inventories much faster (as it does when objects are placed within objects and taken into the inventory, but should make the management of such prim-object containers much easier and more intuitive.

At the very least, we should be able to have a tree structured folder system for storage inside the contents of prims.

That would be wonderful.  I store a lot of stuff in prims, both to have backups and to keep the size of the inventory down.  The biggest headache when doing this is that the only way to organize things within a prim is to put things into different prims within it, and then I can't see what's in them without rezzing them.  I would love it if this got done.  If you'll make a jira, I'll vote for it.

Gets my vote. I've wanted this for as long as I have been in SL. Storing things inside boxes within other boxes as a substitute for proper folders, as we must do now, is a lousy substitute, and makes finding anything in those storage boxes so difficult that they rarely ever get opened/unpacked again after you create them.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.