please help if you can!!

niddy Seerose

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi have been having problems with lag for some time and decided to follow the advice and go to the preferences page and i adjusted something and now it wont load at all , says i need to update my graphics driver, is there anyway of resetting the settings on the viewer from here as it wont load at all ,, i did try and uninstall then install it again but sadly it didn't work ,, any help or ideas would be gratefully appreciated ,, and keep it simple im not very technical xx

Welcome to Second Life Forums, niddy.

First of all, have you updated your graphics driver yet? 

You can change settings without actually logging into Second Life. Just bring up the log in screen, click on "edit" (or "me" if you use Viewer 2), and "preference".  You can change the "graphics" to "low".

I think though that if you post your computer's specifications here, you will get a ton of really good advice on how to get the best performance from your machine.

Click on the main button you use when you open new programs or close down your computer (the start button), and you should have a help/search box. Type in "device manager" and it will bring up a list of what components your computer is made up of. Look down the list for "display adaptors" or "display". Click on the icon next to this and it will tell you the type of graphics card you have installed in your machine.

Then visit the website for the manufacturer of the graphics card (for example I have nvidia installed in mine), and you will see an option to check if your graphics card is up to date and if not, it will offer you a free update.

To help with any technical probem we need to know information about your system. We at least need to know if your computer is Windows or Mac. It also helps to know which version of either you are using. The instructions we'll give you change based on whether you are XP, Vista, or Win7.

On Windows Vista/Win7 you can get the tecnical detail on your machine and software clicking Start and typing dxdiag. When it runs it will give all the data on your computer. Notice the tab for getting video and sound details.

I have no idea what the Apple equivalent program is.

its says windows 7 and on the display tab it says chip type: mobile intel® 4 series expess chipset family current display 1366x768(32bit) << thats the only bit i changed on the sl viewer, i updated my graphics card and then tried again and it still didnt get any further then the white box for checking the graphics and stuff, the laptop says it has the newest graphic driver and i have uninstalled and installed sl a few times now and it isnt working ,, no idea what i did to mess it up so bad , it loaded this morning but a box kept coming up saying that sl didnt recognise my card or something and i should change the resolution in the ''me'' bit , but seeing as i cant get that back up i cant change it back , if you cant help me im just gonna have to delete my account. thanks all for trying

Delete the SecondLife folder.  It is located in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming.  Deleting it will wipe out all of your settings.  The next time you run Secondlife, it will be using the default settings.  "Username" means YOUR Windows username.

Before you can do it you will need to open a Windows Explorer window, click on "view," click on "Folder options," and click on the view tab.  Then click on "Show hidden files and folders" and click on "OK."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4659 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.