Relinking a structure

Ruby Reynaud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Greetings! I am wondering if there is an easy, sweeping way to relink a build. I have a structure that I have unlinked in order to retexture part of it. In order to relink it I have to highlight every piece, which is 86 pieces...invariably I keep missing some. Is there any easier way to relink a structure?

Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Click outside the build and drag to lasso the entire build, then link it.  A caution.  When you have a lot of prims linked it's easy to not get everything, even when lassoing.  Cam around your object and carefully look to see if all the prims are highlighted in the linkset.  If some are not then hold the shilf key down and click the ones that were missed to include them.  Before you exit the edit mode decide on what prim you want to be the root prim.  Hold down the shift key and click it to unlink it from the linkset then click it again to make it the last prim selected..........that will make it the root prim.

• Like 1

If you understood what Peggy said then yay there you go.

But for next time if you want to change the texture on one prim you don't have to unlink it to do so. You can edit the entire thing and then select 'edit linked parts' and click on the one prim you want to change the texture on and change it but if you only want to change the texture on one side of one prim then select 'select texture' or 'select face' and click on the one side of the one prim and change it's texture, close editor, done.

• Like 1

In addition to the other 2 posts, if you are trying to drag a selection box in a busy area, go to Tools or Build menu (depending on your viewer) and check "Select only my objects". You can then easily drag selection boxes around the place to make sure you get all your prims without picking up all the neighbours prims.

• Like 1

if you're unsure if you got all the pieces selected you can always move the build slightly (once), just enough to see if all the pieces follow. if they don't you can always hit ctrl+z and it will snap back and if you have a good memory you will know where the stray prims are and go pick them up as well. i do this all the time.

remember that the last prim selected before you link will become the root prim and that may become an issue. in a structure there may be prims that need to be set to phantom, or scripted prims that can't be linked or need to be the root prim in order to work properly.

if it's messed up you can always just rez another copy, if you have one in your inventory.

add info/comments to your post by using options > edit.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.