Still crashing...

AWildLucario

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Every time I start up Secondlife it either pops up saying that it "crashed" or pops up with some "crash logger" thing.

Now look, I am very bad with computers, as in I am completely new to all of this stuff really, so please when you explain this: use English words, not computer. I wont understand what you are talking about just like how I did not understand what the last person said to my previous question.

3 answers to this question

Assuming you are using the latest viewer, open Second Life to login screen then select Me > Preferences > Advanced tab and click Clear cache. Close the viewer and restart it. If using an older viewer, clear cache is the Reset button in the Privacy tab. Close down and then restart as above, Try logging in now. If still having problems, you're going to have to clear your SL settings files and allow SL create new default ones.

To do this, you need to be able to see your Windows AppData folder so if AppData is hidden, you need to enable viewing. Follow the instructions for your OS here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7422​0 or here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html

Now navigate to:

Windows 7 or Vista: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife.

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\SecondLife

Click the Second Life folder to open it and then delete the user_settings folder.

Close the folders and restart your computer. Now try opening Second LIfe.

Hmmmm... My response to your last question was about as simple as it gets.  Crash logger errors usually indicate that there's something wrong with the SL viewer you are using.  Deleting your user_settings folder, which contains your Preferences, often clears things up because it forces your viewer to create a new, clean folder the next time it fires up.  If that didn't work, chances are that the viewer itself is damaged (or that your computer does not meet LL's recommended standards).  Take Darkie's advice and try a different viewer.  Before you install it, however, be sure to completely remove the one that's there now instead of loading a new one on top of it.  That way, your new viewer will avoid inheriting any damaged files.  Meanwhile, please do check https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/?lang=en-US to be sure that your computer meets LL's standards and is capable of running any viewer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4743 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.