I sell full perm items. Can I prevent people from modifying and reselling them?

Pseudoanne Bailey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

After finding a slightly modified and extremely cheap version of my full perm item on the marketplace by a reseller, I am prompted to ask . . . has this person infringed any copyright or intellectual property rights of mine?Is there anything i can do to get them to remove it?

Are there any rules or rights when items are sold full perm? I have seen notecards included with full perm items i've bought, which declare the item is not to be resold  . . .  Should i be including such a note?

I also buy full perm items to include in my builds - however i do not resell them as they are. The reseller has added a couple of decorations and changed one texture. The service they offer with the item is exactly the same as my own.

Yes - i'm fully aware of the risk of selling full perm items. But if there's any extra precautions i can take, or any action i can take against the reseller  - i'd like to know. 

4 answers to this question

Once you have setted full perms on an item (next owner can copy, modify, give away/sell), there is nothing you can do. You may include a notecard and hopefully it will be read and understood but you cannot prevent next owner to do whatever he wants with the item. The only option you have is to set your items to "no modify, no resell".

If you did not include a notecard with any conditions of sale, then it is logically assumed that there are no conditions and the buyer is entitled to do whatever they want with the item.

So, yes, if you do not want your items resold "as is" then you should have included a notecard explaining exactly what is & is not allowed to be done with them.

If you really plan to try and monitor what happens with your items (very difficult to do actually) then including a notecard saying that your full perm items may be resold but NOT as FULL PERM items would be necessary. It might also be wise to post a VERY large sign in the store or marketplace stating that -- so buyers new before purchasing. You could also make that fact obvious in each item but putting a notice in the description field ("not to be resold with full perms". That way, if you have covered all your bases you would have some grounds for a report should this same scenario occur again.

BUT this would only work on the products you start producing now  or changed. You would need to keep all your sales records to determine the date of sale, so that you could attest that you did include terms of use. It is a lot of work, so only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Most folks, I think, do pay attention to terms of use and end user agreements, but there will always be some that abuse full perms items. So be prepared for that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.