Why texture with alpha channel messing sculpted prim?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Heloa everybody

Do anybody knew why after adding alpha channel to part of texture for my sculpted prim it started looking like outside out (I tried to change it as well and it doesn’t work : )

I tried to make it without transparency and correct it in gimp – same effect does mean that it is something wrong with prim or texture

Do someone know good tutorial on subject?

Snapshot_001.png

Prim looks ok but after adding half transparent on blue area:

Snapshot3_001.pngSnapshot4_001.pngSnapshot5_001.png

I think I doing some simple mistake  but been looking for solution last 5 h and can’t find any answer

Hi Wild, if you've tried all the above recommendations and the issue still exists, here's a technique that works for me. Sometimes when a texture is uploaded, one very tiny sliver of a side is actually alpha'ed and not covered by the texture. Really hard to see in graphics program, but it leads to the alpha'ing you are seeing inworld.

As a test (to find the side that might be alpha'd):

1) Resave your texture as a jpg file. They don't support alphas, so if one edge is alpha, it will turn white when brought inworld

2) Do a temp upload on the Beta Grid or TPV of the jpg.

3) Apply it to a box and repeat the pattern several times. If there is a white edge, you will suddenly see it.

4) Go back to graphics program and close that gap.

5) Resave/retest

6) If the gap is closed, try uploading as a png or tga (possibly in test environment again) and apply to the house to see if the problem has been solved.

Maybe that will help!

TU for all the tips. Problem is that the blue area from first picture is transparent and it need to be so I need alpha channel – don’t I?

But tell me if you can why rest of prim with supposed to look solid look catted (the green and black parts) when alpha channel is applied and if is any way to avoid it – or its some bug and I have to do separate prim for transparent areas

I need to do miniature of sculpted house from 1 prim so I will need to put on it 1 texture with walls, roof,… and transparent windows. So if SL shows textures with transparent parts like above (not transparent areas started looking jagged and transparent in places – depending on view angle) my small project is impossible to do :(

Hi Wild, I'm sorry for the delay in responding, as I just saw that you posted. If you are trying to make a 1 prim sculpted house with a transparent window, I believe that there's always going to be that "flickering" or disappearance of the rest of the house behind it. SL has a very tough time "reading" an alpha texture and they really should be used in conjunction with opaque textures to prevent that see through issue you are having. I am not a sculptor, I'm a fashion designer, but my experience with sculpties for clothing and textures with alphas has been the same - very difficult to not get that flicker. Perhaps a professional sculptor who also makes shade maps could better answer your question. From my standpoint, I believe that you need to combine the window alpha with other non alpha prims to get the effect you want. Please seek out a professional sculptor's help in the event that I am mistaken.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.