Skeleton modification

Cloud Lemton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I asked this in the Answers tab but so far only got non-answers. http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Avatar/Are-there-plans-to-modify-the-avatar-skeleton/qaq-p/962667

My question was simple if anyone bothered to read it and I'm rather frustrated that it wasn't answered.

I want to know if ADDING to or SUBTRACTING from the skeleton will be possible. In other words, will more legs, more arms or, the first thing anyone should think of, wings, be possible? Will I be able to have an avatar based on the mythological centaur?

My understanding is that custom bones/skeletons are NOT possible right now.  There has been talk about them being added at some later date, but I'm not aware of it being a definite.  I'm hoping that it does in fact get added in sooner vs. later, but we'll have to wait and see what the Lindens decide, and what kind of time table they settle on if they do decide to add custom skeletons.

I think the goal is to bring mesh out on the production grid with the functions and features it has now - in beta - and get that to work properly before work is started on other features. As the others have said, custom bones has been discussed but will not be in the initial release.

- Luc -

• 6 months later...

Personally, I'd LOVE to see a new avatar skeleton developed, like the skeleton used in DAZ 3D. For people who make poses and animations, it would be neat see more accurate representations of the pose someone is wanting to create. I was hoping I could upload a pose I made with that, with the fingers bent a certain way, and all, but given SL's current skeleton make-up, it's impossible. So, naturally, I'm stuck with the default for now :P

IMHO, LL should not make a new skeleton. Most skeletons are the same and some add way more bones than they need, don't ask me why. If any, the default SL skeleton could use 1 more spinal bone, besides the obvious fingers. What I would like to see, is the ability to attach bones to the default skeleton. So, we could make a whole new skeleton for mesh NPCs, but also make bone sets that attach to you. Imagine a mesh tail with bones that you attach to your pelvis, and can be controlled with a standard AO, or just some simple animation coding, just like normal animations. You could make a mesh hand with bones and just attach it to your hand. How about mesh ears with bones, or mesh wings with bones.

Creating a brand new skeleton for an avatar that can not use our existing bvh animations should seriously be avoided. The default skeleton has all kinds of things built into it, plus the customer has millions of options. Some of the beauty of SL is that we have 1 system to create with and every1 can interact in similar ways. Attaching bones seems like a good way to have everything we want, and still keep userablity across all creators and avatars. Technically, I don't even think they would actually need to attach to the default skeleton, just attach like normal objects, but have bones.

Imagine making a mesh monkey npc, that you can attach to your shoulder, or a bird.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.