Are there plans to modify the avatar skeleton?

Cloud Lemton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

If not, why?

I for one (and I probably stand for many people when I say this) would like to see the ability to possess multiple sets of arms, wings, and/or multiple sets of legs (centaur) without the requirement of poorly-made, non-animated prims or heavy scripting. My recommendation is to allow users to upload custom skeletal points to attach to the rest of the avatar, such as attaching a lower body to the pelvis, and to modify the existing skeleton (such as to create digitigrade legs)

2 answers to this question

Omg! Are there! Its the revolution, haven't you heard?

from: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/What_is_mesh%3F

"The ability to import meshes to Second Life means more detailed, complex, realistic and creative objects and avatars are available to everyone. Designers can now use external software tools to design avatars and other objects for use inworld. Avatar designs can be joint-rigged, allowing natural-looking animation without a need for extra scripting."

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/bd-p/Mesh

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh

mesh

• Like 3

Charolotte, nailed it :)

One caveat.  The creation of quality meshes is not for the faint of heart.  It involves a fairly high level of understanding and experience in 3D modeling (a profession that is quite high paying in the real world).  Don't expect any freebies that are of more than just medium quality (if even that much) for quite some time.  Those avatars are going to expensive (in terms of what most users of SL think on pricing) for quite a long time.  I wouldn't be surprised to see avatars going somewhee in the L$8,000 to L$10,000.............and, to be honest, that is not a bad deal when you consider the expertise required to create a complicated mesh with the required rigging involved.  As time progresses and more of the bull headed amateurs (like me) dig in and figure it out the prices will come down.  Just as the higher quality skins have come down over the years (remember when a high quality skin cost L$3500 to L$6000?  The same, even better, quality skins can now be had for L$1000 or less........some of the older "outdated" skins are offered as freebies by the creators.  A couple years I think and the "average" user will be able to afford one (or, at least, justify it to themselves for purchasing one).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4671 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.