Is There a Continuing Reason to Keep Multiple Layers of a Garment?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the past, it was desirable to have multiple layers of the same garment as a workaround for limitations that we no longer have.  Now that we have a tattoo layer and the ability to wear up to five of each clothing layer, I can't think of a reason to keep multiple layers any longer, and I am thinking of having a major closet cleaning.  It seems strange to delete a lot of nice clothes, and the thought makes me uncomfortable, so I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

What do others think?

If you don't keep all the layers how can you be sure which one will land on top? If you try to put everything on one layer I am sure it will be buggy making it hard to pick which item you want on the top layer, or middle... see the problem?

I'd keep all the layers myself.  Some creators provide less layer options.  If you ever like to mix and match items from different creators and you want that long top under the crop top but the long top only ever came in jacket layer, you'll be annoyed if you only kept the shirt layer for the crop top.

EDITED: I'm not seeing things underlined as links Ceka.

Yes, the layers are still very useful for clothing.

If you want to be able to organize your clothing better than a single pig-pile of "outfits" that V2 uses, then you need to use the old-fashioned Inventory folders, and add the contents of a folder to your avvie, or replace outfit with the folder. But that method won't multi-attach layers. If the folder contains two shirts, only one will get worn, and you have to manually go back and attach the other item again.

I think it makes sense to keep them, because the individual clothing layers are still applied in the same order. Imagine you have a corset that comes on the jacket and the undershirt layer. The jacket layer corset is useful if you want to wear it above a bra; that way you can wear an entire folder and don't have to pay attention in which order you put the items on. Same if you want to wear a jacket above the corset, in that case the undershirt layer would be more useful. I'd keep both layers just in case.

If a piece of clothing is modifiable, you might be able to change the flare in a shirt layer or open the front of a jacket layer.  You can also layer some clothing much as you could in RL. For instance, I had a skimpy blue halter top that showed a bit of nipple. When I added a red bikini under the shirt layer, I got a cute red, white & blue combination. (Pale skin for the white part.)

I just cannot think of how I would ever have a use for the pants layer of a pair of panties for which I also have the underpants layer.  If I need to wear them over some other panties, which is exceedingly unlikely (unless I develop a new perversion), I can just wear both underpants now.  Other than that, I would have no use at all for the pants layer.  I suppose There could be a situation in which one would want to wear them over anouther pair of panties for which one had only a pants layer, but that's even less likely.  And, surely, if i developed a fetish for wearing multiple panties, I wouldn't have to wear them in a particular order (said with a smile).

I should say that I do not use the old regular-folder-style outfits, and I extensively use the V2 virtual outfits, so I can control the order of like layer in my outfits.

Due to the uniformly cautious advice you have given me here, I sure won't delete anything.  I do think I will store the things I don't expect to use in prims, unless they are transferable, in which case I may share them with a poorly-dressed alt.

I do appreciate the responses.

I can imagine wearing an underwear layer with a tattoo on it & then wearing a bikini or panties on the pants layer over that. Having tattoos on the tattoo layer is much nicer than having to rely on clothing layers for tattoos, but you might still have some favorite tatoos on clothing layers. If so, you'll be glad you have multiple clothing layers to choose from when wearing them.

As a matter of fact, all of my tattoos, which I seldom wear anymore, are on clothing layers, many on multiple layers.  They make a very good example.  Why would I ever, now, want a tattoo on any clothing layer besides an underwear layer.  Before V2, I might need another layer because I had only the underwear layer for clothing I wanted to wear with it.  Now I can just wear both underwear layers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.