What Exactly is a Resizer Menu?

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What exactly is a resizer menu?  Is that scripts? 

I bought two hairs that have a resizer menu; however, upon looking at the Marketplace ad there is no mention of a resizer menu coming with the hairs I bought.  I bought these hairs thinking they were NON SCRIPTED hairs as there is no mention of a resizer menu in the whole advertisement nor in the inworld store.

So what exactly is a resizer menu, then? 

Yeah...

Those are scripted resizers.

Either they are linkset based and ok.

Or not linkset and will cause nearly enough lag to kill anyone with a slow system who's in the same sim as you - and if there's a few people with them, kill the whole sim.

Best way to find out is to look at script info in About Land after wearing it and see how many scripts it has. Second best way is with a script checking device. I've got one in the door of my shop (walk through the door) and I put a copy of it people can take at the Forum Cartel.

If the hair is mod invest in a script cleaner. If its not mod - throw it out.

If its just a linkset resizer though (the script appears only in the root prim) - then its safe to use.

Old resizers put a copy of the script in EVERY SINGLE PRIM. which on hair with a few hundred prims adds up to many megabytes of script use. and if there are any bugs in the script - several script errors everytime you change sims or otherwise trigger the script (was the mono bug ever fixed? - used to be a mono script would pause the entire sim when loaded. Mono resize hair - shudder).

New linkset resizers just put the script in the root prim. One copy, that's it. Very small script, causes less lag than your AO.

Radical difference.

Mayalily wrote:

Yeah I can post a link, let me see if it pulls up here.  Is also says NO MODIFY, so how come both hairs I bought have a resizer menu?  I wanted several more from here but both I bought have a resizer menu, so I'm thinking the rest do too?

lets just say.. some people are not so informative with their adds..she did mention her lucky chairs in her sim though LOL

ya i would expect that those would all be scripted..

Mayalily wrote:

Oh, I don't see how no modify means a resizer menu?  Weird.  I'd think no modify would mean no modify, thus no resizer? 

no-mod just means you cannot mod it from the edit tools..the only way to mod it would be from scripts..that or it's really crap and they think one size fits all lol

she was just lazy in not mentioning  it being scripted..

They are intended to make life easier for you.  Touch the object with the resize script and down drops a blue box with options (including how to delete the script once you have resized it).  Since my avie came of age in 2007, I actually prefer to mod or resize myself but so many things these days have the scripts in them.

In my mind, 'no modify' is different from 'this is an item with a resize script for your convenience' because you must use the resize script to make changes.  No modify means you can modify it any way you wish, not limited to what the scripts allow.

Many hairs with bands, bows, flowers, etc have these scripts in them that allow you to change color or hide them.

Okay, I have to go back to RL this morning and get going for RL.

Anyhow, maybe I'll start a thread later on some good places to find script-free hair!  So I need modify hair to get no scripts then?

Some of those hairs are very cute; a script kill might work since it's a pony tail.  Some of the hair reminds me of My Little Pony hair but cute nonetheless.

However, I need some non-scripted hair, or I'm going to have to kill the scripts; if they even come with that option.  I'm not sure yet about if the menu includes a script kill or not (?), so I'll have to check later on that. 

If something is no-mod then the only way you can resize it is with a script, making it more likely that no-mod hair would be scripted. If you had no-mod hair without a resizer, there would be no way to fit it to the size of your head, you'd have to resize your head instead, which would be crazy.

Personally I would never ever buy no-mod hair. Of course it could be different with long hair, but with the shorter hair that I usually like to wear, I find I almost always have to go in and modify prim by prim... around my ears especially... it get it to fit just right. I'm a perfectionist in that respect.

...Dres

Edited to change one word. I'm a perfectionist in that respect as well... lol.

If the creator knows what they are doing there will be a kill option, if not then don't buy from them again.

Before you kill the script (if possible) make sure to make a copy of the hair first, that way you'll have a copy with the resize script intact, in case you change your shape at a later time and still want to wear that hair. In any case, it's always good to make a copy of something first if you intend to modify it in any way, that is of course as long as it's copyable.

...Dres

Okay yes, I think I have everything clear now.  Copy just in case, then delete.  Then find a scriptometer of some kind to check my scripts running.  Pussycat says she has one.

The other thing I get from this thread is that modify does not mean scripts, it means stretch to fit as in the edit section, click the stretch, and then stretch it?   I understand that now, I hope.  No modify to me meant, no modify, like take it the way it is, and I tried on the demos inworld and they fit fine... so that's why I was surprised to find a resizer in there, not to mention I thought it was no scripts and no modify meant exactly that no modify at all.

So I need some kind of stretchable hair that won't have scripts.

I hope I got that right.

I do like the hair from that place tho.  I think a lot of it is very cute.  Very creative designer. 

Thanks for explaining this everybody!  Stretch to fit hair they should call it!  lol

You can check the scripts you have on by going to the land menu in the first (General) tab... it's the button at the bottom on the left. Click on that and in that window you'll see a tab that says avatar (the second tab)... that's where your script count will be, plus a list of the script counts of everything you're wearing with scripts in it.

Hope this helps... Dres

at a base, you can assume that any worn item that says no-modify will probably be scripted to resize.

decent creators also script in an option to remove the scripts once you are done with them. If the resizer does not include this function, beware, because it's probably a mess, and could very likely be one of the old monster "script in every prim" designs.

no modify (only resize scripted) hair is a joke. :smileymad:

unless you have the exact same skull shape as the one the hair was created on it will never fit as good as it could and should.

resize scripted hair only gives you the option to change the size proportionally, so if after resizing say it leaves you with a strand in your eye you're **bleeped**. and forget about wearing hats or similar headwear - you'll never be able to tuck away hair that sticks out.

i'd say spend your money on gear you can actually make fit.

that is so true..there is nothing like being able to edit one strand the way you like it and move it where we want..

sometimes just a little to the left or right or front or back or up or down is all it needs..

there are some nice styles i would have loved to have bought if i could have edited only one or two strands here or there the way i wanted them hehehe

Oh no, you don't know me or understand.  See, Mayalily wants and will always have hair in her eyes.  If I can't have hair in my eyes, I'd be very unhappy. 

I need to have hair in my eyes because it's a part of me, like that guy in the Foo-Fighters, only I'm not a guy.  I'm a girl. 

Foo-Fighter Hair:

foo-fighters-jalou-bob-copia.jpg

Cool.  Yeah, I would probably die if I couldn't have hair in my eyes, and I'm always like DON'T CUT MY HAIR! whenever I go for a haircut! 

And every single time they ask if I would like bangs?  My answer is always NO!!!!!!!!   I have nothing against bangs on other people.  I just don't want them!  Don't cut my hair into bangs!!!!  People always want to cut the hair out of my eyes all the time.

This is what bangs are for people who may be from different countries than me:

bangs.jpg

Mayalily wrote:

Oh no, you don't know me or understand.  See, Mayalily wants and will always have hair in her eyes.  If I can't have hair in my eyes, I'd be very unhappy. 

I need to have hair in my eyes because it's a part of me, like that guy in the Foo-Fighters, only I'm not a guy.  I'm a girl. 

Foo-Fighter Hair:

foo-fighters-jalou-bob-copia.jpg

the new Foo Fighters cd is out!! \o/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4658 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.