How do I get rid of the strange rectanfular screen floating in front of my avi's face?

Sylvia Philemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My avi has this weird rectangular screen floating in front of her face. It seems to reflect some of the scenery of the sim, and changes when she moves. Also, and this seems to be related, her hair is all messed up. I've tried a variety of things but this happened once before and the only thing that made it go away was to uninstall and install the viewer (viewer 2). But this time, I've done that three times and it makes no difference. Still there.

4 answers to this question

Can you please post a screen shot.  Should give us a better idea of what this is. It does sound like something that is attached to you. If you have already tried detaching all, you could also try resetting your avatar.

Remove all clothes, hair, attachments including HUDs, AO etc

CTRL+ALT+D to show the Advanced Menu

Select Advanced > Show Develop Menu

Select Develop > Avatar > Character Tests > Test Female

This will reset your avatar to a default library avatar then just wear your normal skin, shape, clothes, hair, attachments etc. and hopefully you should be back to normal.

If it's still there it must be something in the settings you've activated but what I have no idea. Anyway, go to C: > Users > [username} > AppData > Roaming > SecondLIfe and delete the Second Life folder (save any chat files you want first)then back out to AppData and select Local > Second Life and delete it too. Now restart Second Life, which will create new default folders. If you can't see AppData because it's a hidden Windows folder, follow the instructions here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial62.html

Let us know how you get on. 

• Like 1

It sounds like you have a rear view mirror attached to the screen :D. Which would be really useful if it existed, me thinks.

Like the other say - screenshot, please. Also, I take it you are using the latest viewer 2 release? As far as I can tell, it is really buggy, and should be avoided if possible. (It may not be causing the issue you have, but should still be avoided :)) Have you tried v. 2.8 beta? Do things work better using it?

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4666 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.