I cant color mod hair anymore?

Crymsyn Nirvana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I like my hair a certain red but not all offer the right color.  So I buy hair with copy/mod/no trans so I can give a darker tint to the reds.  But lately when I have tried to do that only portions will color and I have to try to do it prim by prim.  That can take forever.  It will change color but when I close the editor it will revert to no change or a partial change. Is this a new glitch in Second LIfe? Ive tried it on three different veiwers and is the same in all.  Also two different makers with mod permissions do the same thing. Can anyone tell me if this is a glitch in Second LIfe editing?   I tried it on full perm hair and same thing happened most of the time but I find hair with very little flexi will color ok?  Any answers out there?

6 answers to this question

There are very few colour modify hair otherwise creators would loose huge amounts of L$. This is why most hair shops present hair coming in several colour ranges (blacks, blondes, reds, etc) sold separately or by full pack. It's worth giving Lyra's trick a try though. Just make sure to make a backup copy before you modify anything.

I just recolored some NEW scripted hair two days ago with no problem, so it isn't a universal bug :D.  I used to have your texturing problem long ago. VERY frustrating. My issue turned out to be my router. I switched modems (new one came with integrated router) and the problem was solved. I heard that updating the router software also solved the problem. So it "could" be that.

If you are using a wireless connection, you might try connecting directly and see if that solves the issue. If it does, you can go from there :D. Good luck.

if it's high prim hair it's a nightmare to tint all the prims at once and make it stick on the first attempt. some stubborn pieces will almost always revert on their own. it could be your connection or a laggy sim making it harder, but i'd recommend a good portion patience and doing it it sections rather than trying to cover it all in one go.

add info/comments to your post by using options > edit.

If prims have Mod perms then they are Mod , you can`t have Mod except for color.

Hair is made of a LOT of prims & when you select a large number of prims and try to change the texture or color, you can have them changing and changing back at random, its just lag & the fact you have a lot selected. Do it in sections or be patient and keep clicking it until all the prims have got with the program.

If the sim is really laggy try somewhere else.

• Like 1

There may actually be an SL problem. It depends on the version and brand of viewer you are using.

A new feature of SL is a thing labeled Direct Delivery. It change a significant part of the way inventory works and that is having an effect on getting things in and out of inventory. So, saving changes to objects seems to have a new lag factor, which may or may not explain your partial changes saved. I am told that this lag will disappear when Direct Delivery goes live.

Whether that really has an effect, I'm unsure. I do know that SL registers changes to objects in the region server. It them takes 60 seconds for the change to be considered final and propagated to the asset database. If you are making lots of little quick changes you can have multiple changes pending to update. I think the process is async and your changes may be a confused series of out of order changes.

I'll suggest a work-a-round, but I'm gussing. Make your changes. Whether it looks like it worked or not, wait 90 seconds and then detach the hair. Give it a minute then wear the hair. Select the parts that did not change, change them. Make only one change and wait 90 second to assure the region server has sent the changes to the asset server. Repeat the process until you get it changed.

As said, you will probably want to try the change in a deserted region. The less people and things in the region the better. Pooley used to be a good place. Now too many people know about Pooley and there are usually a number of people there. But, you can see deserted regions around Pooley on the world map. Pick one of those.

Also, if you need a pose stand for editing the hair you may run into a problem. Most of the areas your find will be no rez. You can turn off your AO and use a pose to hold the avatar still as a work-a-round.

Plus there is a viewer 2 thing about selecting objects that is having an effect. You may have difficulty selecting objects in viewers that use recent viewer 2 code. I think this started with 2.7.something. It seems to be fixed in the 2.8.1 versions and up. You can often shift the camera to a new location and make the selection.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.