Purhcasing outfits or shoes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The icon indicates what kind of clothing you're dealing with, or at least on which layer it is worn. Clothing designers often include multiple copies of the same item on different clothing layers; for example, a T-shirt that can be worn as a jacket, a shirt or an undershirt. Of course the icon is not very helpful when it comes to items such as a corset or a bra. If the description doesn't tell you what it's supposed to be, all you can do is try it on and see what it looks like.

You have to wear it to tell what it is.  Commonly, sellers will include multiple layers that look the same.  Before viewer 2, there was no tattoo layer, and you could wear only one item in each layer, so it was handy to have the same, e.g.., shirt, as multiple layers.  You might want to wear a jacket layer if you were wearing a tattoo as an undershirt layer, so your bra had to be shirt layer.  You might want to wear it as the shirt layer if you wanted to wear a jacket over it.  Since viewer 2, this is much less important, since we have the tattoo layer, and we can wear multiple items in each layer.

I personally would not delete anything that I was not absolutely certain would never be useful in any circumstances.  Also, it is prudent to keep backups of all copyable items.  If inventory size is a problem, you can store them in a prim, and keep it either in world or in inventory.

You need to be careful about assuming that things are what they seem if you have not rezzed them.  For example, the only way to have a shirt tucked into pants is to have a piece that is underpants or pants layer that is the shirttail because the shirt layer cannot be made long enough, and the jacket layer is always outside the pants layer.

Correct. A simple outfit may come with an undershirt, a shirt and a jacket layer, an underpants and pants layer and a skirt, for example. You would only wear a top layer a bottom layer and the skirt in most cases. The reason for the various layers is to provide you options which will become important when you learn about layering. You may also have in an outfit prim attachments, such as bows, lace, and whatnot. These will all have little orange cube icons and wearing them will be the only way to know what they actually are.

If you are new, you should start being careful of how you name & store your inventory now, before it gets out of hand.

Try on each piece in your new outfits, to see how they look & how they're different from each other. The tattoo layer is the one closest to your skin, then the undershirt & underpants, then the shirt & pants, then the jacket, & then any prim attachments. The jacet layer is longer than the undershirt or shirt layer, so it works nice for longer shirts that would hang over your waist. It can also be opened from the front, so jackets can open or closed The shirt & pants layer can have flared cuffs, though the undershirt & underpants layer don't.

Keep all the pieces unless you're sure you won't ever want them. Especially keep any pictures of the clothing inside the folder, so you can see what the outfit looks like without having to try it on later. Then rename the folder to remind you what the outfit is & help you find it later. You might use a discription like "Blue Peasant Skirt & Top", "Sparkly Gold Gown" or "Skull Tank & Shredded Jeans".  Often renaming an outfit folder will help you more than keeping the orginal name it came with.

If the attached pieces don't seem to fit right, you can move them a little, but don't do any major adjustments without making a copy first. If clothing (or hair) is modifiable, you can tint it to different colors & turn or stretch prim attachements. Try doing this with freebies you don't like much at first, so you can practice on stuff you can mess up & delete. Changing textures on modifiable items is not a good idea unless you know what you're doing, because you can lose important details that you can't get back without having an orignal, unmodified version.

That's because some items are in a different language.  However, the icon tells you whether it's a shirt, undershirt, jacket, etc, even though it's not in English at times.  So yes I found that a little confusing at first.  I'm like what's a klunedetert (just making up a word).  lol

Also I like to rename my items according to category and then a little explanation.  I have boots, shoes, dresses, outfits, skirts, tops, jeans, capris, shorts, etc.  All my shoe items that are renamed start with the word Shoe.  All my jewelry items start with the word Jewelry and then a little explanation of what the jewelry is, etc. 

However, even tho some items we purchase are in a foreign language, the shirt has an icon, etc, etc. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.