Ive seen this for sale..should I?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hoping for some advice here...I saw this tower for sale..pretty good price..but I know little about specs etc..heres what it is:

NVidia 8800 GTS

Win7 64bit HP

2Gig ram

pentium dual E5200

250 Gig SATA HD.

Im currently using this:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4500  @ 2.20GHz (2194.5 MHz)
Memory: 3070 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4650
Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.561-081201a1-072277C-ATI

Would it be better for SL? Would this graphics ard get me the shadows in my photos I crave?

thank you!

Ask if they have a return policy if you decide u don't like it.  If they don't have a return policy (some stores don't now if it's on sale; at least that's what happened to me with a scanner I bought on sale, no returns, but the scanner worked out great for me and the price was unbeatable).   So if there is a return policy, I'd say definately buy it and try it! 

ETA:  You can also do a google search on the item you want to buy, read the reviews on it, and/or even post a link here to the tower u r thinking of buying.  I'd like to see the one you are thinking of buying, and the price.  If it's a good price, I might consider one also.  Can you post a link? 

It would be a small step up from your current PC, at least if you upgrade the RAM of the new(er) machine to 4 GB or more. But I wouldn't expect any miracles, and I'm pretty sure that this PC can't handle shadows. Not with a reasonable fps rate anyway.

I had a GeForce 8800 GTX (which is a little better than the GTS card) in my previous PC. I later upgraded to a GeForce 275 GTX because I couldn't get more than 20 fps in SL (without shadows, that is). But even with this much faster card, I only had 1-3 fps in Kirsten's viewer when I enabled shadows.

If you only temporarily need shadows for photos, it might work for you, but I can assure you that it will be a PITA. You'd have to dress and pose your avatar first, then turn the shadows on, watch your viewer slow down to a 1 fps crawl, and curse the non-responsive UI while you wait several minutes for the snapshot window to pop up. Opening the inventory or changing the camera angle won't be an option while the shadows are on. If you can live with that, go ahead. I would rather save up for a newer PC.

Mayalily wrote:

Ask if they have a return policy if you decide u don't like it.  If they don't have a return policy (some stores don't now if it's on sale; at least that's what happened to me with a scanner I bought on sale, no returns, but the scanner worked out great for me and the price was unbeatable).   So if there is a return policy, I'd say definately buy it and try it! 

Its a secondhand machine built up to a higher spec than it was..the price is so affordable..but no returns...was hoping i might find it heaps better than what I have right now...doesnt seem so though-thanks for the reply !

Yes, I thought that might be the case.  I was going to say that most electronic items on sale are being discontinued.  At least that's what happened when I bought the scanner and/or was searching for a new scanner.  However, I love the scanner and it should take me into the next ten years or so.  But a scanner is hardly anything like a pc. 

However, yeah, a lot of electronic items on sale, are usually being phased out or about to be discontinued. 

ETA:  But now I see your post, that's it's second hand (used).  Yeah, that would be no returning.  You'd be stuck. 

No, just a regular scanner.  I wuvs it as it has so many incredible options!  It's just for old photos and docs, that kind of thing.   You can even fit a book in there to copy some of the pages; this is cool for some of my old antique books which are out of print and nearly falling apart as they are very old books. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.