Talk like a Linden (KB article)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It's great when lawyers, marketing types and middle managers get together!  :smileywink:

Wow, I haven't seen anything like that since I wrote for a newspaper years ago. Sheesh... they expect SL forum contributors to follow all those guidelines, huh? Yeah, if I was on their payroll! We're still talking about documentation for a game, right?

Good luck with that LL.*

*(Oops, LL is not an approved way to refer to Linden Lab ©, aka Linden Research, Inc.)

It defines procedure for contributions to the Knowledge Base, to provide a clear and consistent method of communication.

We can speak informally here at the Forums, those guidelines are for the KB.

I like how proper it is. Gave me an idea of how and why things are the way there are.   

I LOL'd when i read this...

I tend to type in us international english, due to the fact i not only used a u.s typing program to learn to type, and also html editors are also in u.s. language.

but the sentance...billy bob going in the pickup to get his girl from walmart...is a little strange to me, but i know what is meant..

(billy bob is going to drive to walmart to pick up his girlfiend from there) lol...

Deej Kasshiki wrote:

It's great when lawyers, marketing types and middle managers get together!  :smileywink:

Wow, I haven't seen anything like that since I wrote for a newspaper years ago. Sheesh... they expect SL forum contributors to follow all those guidelines, huh? Yeah, if I was on their payroll! We're still talking about documentation for a
game
, right?

Good luck with that LL.*

*(Oops, LL is not an approved way to refer to Linden Lab ©, aka Linden Research, Inc.)

i thought that section was for giggles when reading it..they should have added..It is "Linden Lab" not "Linden Labs" with the s.

hehehehe

A Style Guide - ANY style guide - is good :-)  Being consistent is often more important than being 'correct'.  While I too would prefer English was the dominant language it seems perfectly reasonable for a US company to require American.

(Sad fact - I have the (English) Economist, Telegraph, Sunday Times and 2 other style guides sat next to the computer)

lol :smileyhappy: Why is it sad?

I keep a dictionary in the desk and there is a Globe of the World on the shelf for reference. It's an old Globe and some Countries no longer exist which causes some confusion at times.

I try to avoid economic mystics. Big fan of Max from rt and Schiff, very entertaining.

I think the way that should read is American Spelling.   Since everything is so automated now, it's seems the default spell checker on here is for American spelling only.

I hate a lot of these automated things, especially the new automated closed captioning that I use for foreign films, etc.  The automated closed captioning gets so many words wrong or just makes up words (which can be funny at times for me as I'm not deaf) BUT for deaf people, I feel sorry for people who are deaf because those are not actual words - the automated system is just trying to make up a word that comes closest to what the person is saying.  But for deaf people, that will not help them learn (it will un-learn them) as no such words even exist.   That's automation for you!  It's stinky sometimes, especially for deaf people. 

Let me try to translate for you:

Here's the basic chorus:

I shore like dat Candy,

I don't go for dem turnip greens...

Another line:

I don't drink Coca-Cola

But I shore like an ol' moonshine...  (moonshine is type of homemade liquor for some people who don't know).

((rofl))

I love that song, Candy by the Heartbreakers.  I think it's extremely humorous, and Tom Petty sounds like the ultimate brat in this song.  I think it's very cleaverly done and makes me giggle.  The guitar sound is just tremendous and so retro sounding, I think it's a work of genius.   But, that's jmo on the song.  I really do like it, a lot! 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.