The Phoenix Grid

Chelsea Malibu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was recently approached by a group building what they called the Phoenix Grid (an open sim project) offering me a space for a store there.  At first I was excited as I had thought this may be the same group behind the Phoenix Viewer which impressed me however, I have since found out it has nothing to do with the Phoenix Viewer team.

Has anyone else been approached by them?

I've not been approached by them, but have been approached by numerous other small grid operators.

My answer is always no.

Aside from potential reliability & trust issues (you are putting your account and all your assets in their hands) there is also the audience to consider.

No grid but Second Life has attracted a reasonable size customer base, so you are at best aiming to sell to a group of maybe 100 people?

Is the risk worth it? Not in my eyes.

If I see a parallel grid arise, with a population of 10000+ concurrency, active commerce, and a way to cash out, I will think about it.

Until that day, I remain exclusive to Second Life :matte-motes-inlove:

Thanks Wade, sort of along my thought too.  I spoke to Stroker about this and he said the same along with what you said.

I don't do this to make money, I do very well in RL already but I do like the idea of expanding my market since my stores pretty much run themselves these days.

I think for now, I really don't have time for more and am very happy in SL. Thanks!

Oh I should mention that Edus are an exception.

Those are typically just stand alone sims or a small cluster of set size, was thinking of them in a different category, separate from the "grids" like the one above, which I suggested approaching with caution.

If I can verify there is a genuine university, college, or institution of some reputable sort behind a grid, that is something infinitely more trustworthy & worthwhile :)

I am quite happy to do jobs for Edus & Non-Profits & have worked with these groups before in the past.

Another Minigrid with 10 Online? Not really a spot to invest even only time into.

We had a look at "Inworldz" to possible branch the shop to, but frankly, on a saturday 123 people on?

Whow what an audience, and "Inworldz" is one of the better known Minis.

So what you expect from this next new opengrid-copy? :) "Everyone starts his own" isnt maybe the best option to builds up something that could reach SL`s size...

• 7 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.