Why is it when I create a new role or title I cant change to that title?

VincentLunchbox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I dont know if this is the right area to post this, but I created a new group and wanted a title other than owner to show above my name. I created new roles but can not change to them. I have followed what I thought was the right steps but cant change a thing. I am using viewer 2.

Vincent Delacroix

6 answers to this question

Each group role within a group can have its own unique title. If your belong to more than one role in the same group, you can switch your active title within the group:

1. Select Edit > Groups from the menus at the top of the Second Life window.
  2. Click the name of your active group.
  3. Click the Info button.
  4. Near the bottom right of the Group Information window is a dropdown box called My Active Title. Click the box to select your active title from your available titles in that group.
  5. Click OK to close the Group Information Window.

HOWEVER ..... When you (the owner) want to change the titles that are associated with roles, you have to

1. Go to Edit > Groups
  2. Highlight the group you want to edit, and press the Info button.
  3. Go to the Members & Roles tab on the Group Information window.
  4. Click the Roles tab under the Members & Roles tab.
  5. Highlight the role that you want to make a change for
  6. Enter a new Title (tag) for that role. When that group role is active, the title appears inworld above your avatar name.

you need to assign yourself to that role by highlighting your name on the member list (members & roles > members) and check the desired role. after that you can change your active group title to the new one as you would any other.

add info/comments to your post by using options > edit.

• Like 1

I have the same question, but it was not answered. One person referred to the Edit menu but I don't have that in Viewer 2.

Another said to hit Save at the bottom right of the Groups sidebar.

But when I change the title of Owner to something else, the Save button is not visible at the bottom. It's a plain black bar.

When I click in a checkbox to give myself a new role, I can't click anywhere else, there is no Save, and all of the Titles disappear from the main Second Life menu bar! It goes black. No Me, World, Build -- plain black.

Is this the same question or problem, or a different one?

I am on a Mac and this is the first group I have managed in Viewer 2. Grrrr...

Update: I went into SL with Imprudence and was able to make the changes with no trouble. I have no idea why Viewer 2 refused to let me change role titles. Or rather, I have no idea why the "Save" button disappears and you are stuck in editing mode till you force quit.

It sounds like you hit upon the same but I did a while back. Also on a Mac. i thought this happened only for groups you didn't own, but apparently this happens as soon as a group title is edited. Although I don't remember the 'normal' viewer menu disappearing... What I noticed is that the save button is there still, but you have to first click where the section heading for the section below 'roles' is supposed to be to force a redraw of the content of the group sidebar panel. Or I could click the 'back' button in the top left of the group editing panel to get out of group editing. This makes the viewer present a dialog box asking whether you want to save the chances or not, BUT the dialog box itself it invisible - only the shadow around it is showing. Hitting enter on the keyboard still saved the changes, though.

I never got around to looking for, or filing, a jira for this, but it probably should be done.

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.