Inconvenient Truths about Second Life

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

*grabs my nutsack*

Ingrid, now what we've got you and your uhhh, nutsack here....do you really believe most women in SL are really men in 1st life, or were you being hyperbolic to be funny?

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

.do you really believe most women in SL are really men in 1st life, or were you being hyperbolic to be funny?

No... I wasn't being funny. I've been in sl for 20 years and that's my gut feeling. I'm not sure why my post is getting any attention honestly, it's pretty obvious that most males have at least one or 2 female alts, afew in this forum alone. 

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ingrid, now what we've got you and your uhhh, nutsack here....do you really believe most women in SL are really men in 1st life, or were you being hyperbolic to be funny?

/me grabs a s bottle of tequila..Please ladies..go on....

Just now, Ingrid Ingersoll said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

.do you really believe most women in SL are really men in 1st life, or were you being hyperbolic to be funny?

No... 

No you don't believe most presenting as women in SL are really men in 1st life?

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This topic always ends in tears (as me ol' gram used to say).

Looked at from an objective viewpoint as if there's an absolute right or wrong, as you did before, yes tears.

But looking at it as a private matter between two people who make decisions as a relationship evolves...yes there is a right or wrong between two people when they vow honesty.

I look at it like this, say I suddenly said to my Facebook or Messenger friends, hey, I'm really a male...call me Lunadude-o now.  Man they'd be pissed, deceived.

See that's how I see SL...just like another meeting place.  Others put the fantasy first, whereas I put the reality first, and I make sure those who matter to me do this as well. No problem then.

1 minute ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Why? 

Historically, it tends to result in 1) accusations, 2) the resurfacing of a whole lot of gender stereotypes, and 3) discussions about heartbreak from people who have felt "betrayed" by a gender reveal

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Looked at from an objective viewpoint as if there's an absolute right or wrong, as you did before, yes tears.

But looking at it as a private matter between two people who make decisions as a relationship evolves...yes there is a right or wrong between two people when they vow honesty.

You are totally free to feel how you do about the way in which a personal relationship played out. I just don't think that it's a very suitable subject for public discussion, because it often becomes "this happened to me, and therefore everyone should conform to this particular approach so that it never does again"

I know you've been through such an experience. And you know I have too. How we each responded was very different -- you can't produce a universally applicable rule that will deal with personal heartache.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

It is okay unless they lie to you about it.

What is a lie in second life? are you saying that you want to know the RL gender of the person you are talking? Will that change the relationship or mental state of you interactions?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Historically, it tends to result in 1) accusations, 2) the resurfacing of a whole lot of gender stereotypes, and 3) discussions about heartbreak from people who have felt "betrayed" by a gender reveal

Well that's not the topic of this thread so I'm not sure why that would be brought up. If anyone gets pissy over a harmless statement in a lighthearted thread, that's on them. 

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Y'all COULD make a thread about gender in SL. IJS!

Never had one of THOSE before! 😏

Pass.

And in fact I'm going to say nothing more on this subject here. So far as I'm concerned, a person here is what they say they are. If there were ever a compelling need for me to know what equipment someone sports in RL, I'd engage in a personal, private conversation and/or negotiation about it. But that's not going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You are totally free to feel how you do about the way in which a personal relationship played out. I just don't think that it's a very suitable subject for public discussion, because it often becomes "this happened to me, and therefore everyone should conform to this particular approach so that it never does again"

I know you've been through such an experience. And you know I have too. How we each responded was very different -- you can't produce a universally applicable rule that will deal with personal heartache.

No I wasn't speaking to that particular incident at all. And though I had heartache I recovered and actually have a friendship where I speak to that person on the phone -- we're friends.   Do you?

What I'm discussing is how to solve this problem in general -- there is no absolute answer as to whether fantasy or reality should be the default -- it depends on the 2 people involved  and what they decide.  Yet you came down on the side of 'fantasy', and I think you're wrong. It's between the people involved and not you deciding, preaching from afar, what you've decided SL should be.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Haha 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Do you?

Yes, actually. In fact he told me a couple of days ago he's moving to Canada!

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

this problem

I don't see it as a general "problem," myself.

Anyhooooos . . . I am getting an extreme and mildly unpleasant case of deja vu, so I'll leave you all to it.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ananoelle said:
3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

It is okay unless they lie to you about it.

What is a lie in second life? are you saying that you want to know the RL gender of the person you are talking? Will that change the relationship or mental state of you interactions?

As I mentioned earlier, gender is more than just sex organs. We go through a process in 1st life according to what gender we are through our socialization -- it forms our identity. I feel more comfortable talking to women in general because we understand each other more having been through similar experiences as a woman.

And I certainly wouldn't want to talk to men about female issues, reproductive stuff for example -- how could they understand really?  And that seems private to me, something I'd only want to talk about with other women.   lol and usually men hit the road if you even try to talk about some of that stuff...has been my experience anyway.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Yeah maybe if you and Luna want to hash that out it could be done in IM. 

No, s'ok.

You asked me why -- and I told you. I wasn't even thinking of Luna in particular: inevitably this discussion devolves into a back-and-forth on the "ethics" of representing as a different gender. It's looooooong been a common thread in this topic, and it comes from a variety of sources.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am getting an extreme and mildly unpleasant case of deja vu, so I'll leave you all to it.

I say meet inworld and debate it out. Let us know where though, you may need mediators  :)

• Haha 1

Just now, ananoelle said:

I say meet inworld and debate it out. Let us know where though, you may need mediators  :)

lol meet who and debate what?

I am absolutely NOT going to tell anyone that they are "doing it wrong" when it comes to a personal relationship.

• Like 2

I am absolutely NOT going to tell anyone that they are "doing it wrong" when it comes to a personal relationship.

Well good!  Did you change your mind?  In that last long debate I thought you said fantasy should be the default for SL, for everybody.

lol meet who and debate what?

It's Ok Scyll. Calm down. Seriously.