Regarding privacy and legality of products sold on Marketplace

Ok, I have been in Second Life for about 15 years and while I'm pretty used to it being messy (and I'm being nice here), I recently came accross something that I have never seen before nor even heard about and that I believe is as infamous as it requires proper sanctions. This is the reason I decided to post a topic in this forum for the first time.

I recently came closer to the transexual community in Second Life up to the point I started entertaining intimacy with t girls / transfem. During these moments of intimacy, I decided to get male genitals too.

So I bought this product on marketplace.

Having used it, I wanted to change the texture, and it became clear the HUD was not self explanatory enough and I needed help to get it set up. I asked my friends and they didn't know how to change textures too and told me that if I got more information, they would be interested too.

I contacted the owner of this store but she was offline. So I spent an hour reading documentation that do NOT address the hud but some command lines, I browsed and tested each button in the HUD as well as the folders of the product and I eventually found how to achieve what I wanted to do. I told one of my friends about it and they thanked me.

After that, the creator eventually "answered" my question by mocking the fact I couldn't find how to use her product myself.

I then posted a bad review on their product, because I didn't appreciate her tone and incompetency.

If the story ended up here, this would be "daily life" in SL. But it did not.

After that, THE CREATOR REMOTELY DISABLED MY PRODUCT.

Yes, you heard me.

Every time I would try to wear the object, it would self detach after a few seconds, writing a message with a lot of typos in local chat saying to contact the creator.

And, on top of that, I realized MY REVIEW WAS REMOVED FROM THE MARKETPLACE. There was nothing in my review that enfrained Marketplace or SL rules. It was an honest review warning customers that they should not expect proper customer support from this store.

I did contact the creator telling her that I filed a complaint for fraud and submitted a support ticket to Linden Lab.

So there are at least two things here that would get condemned in a court of law:

1. Voluntary grievance, disabling products that have been paid for.

2. Lack of consumer protection on Marketplace regarding products that spy on customers and stop working, without the ability to post an informed review about it.

PS: for those who accuse me of being too long and giving unnecessary details, I decided to explain the context because some of my acquaintances could come accross this post and wonder why I bought such an item, as I never did before. I will not remove this part although I made it shorter.

Edited by V Ghost
Explaining why I gave a context to the purchase.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Caitlin Tobias said:

1. A seller cannot remove reviews from MP

2. You are not allowed to post IM conversations in the forum, not even with a link.

Then how do I inform people about these actions and warn them about this store? You don't seem to care at all.

Just now, V Ghost said:

Then how do I inform people about these actions and warn them about this store? You don't seem to care at all.

Well, I read your conversation and if your review was in the same tone and spirit, I am not surprised it was removed. A negative review can be polite as well, in those cases it won't be removed.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Just now, Caitlin Tobias said:

Well, I read your conversation and if your review was in the same tone and spirit, I am not surprised it was removed. A negative review can be polite as well, in those cases it won't be removed.

Ok thank you for your input.

Just to be clear 'Caitlin Tobias' didn't read my review and takes the liberty to contradict what I wrote above regarding the contents of it without any further information.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, V Ghost said:

Just to be clear 'Caitlin Tobias' didn't read my review and takes the liberty to contradict what I wrote above regarding the contents of it without any further information.

I never said that, so it was already clear? Anyway, he fact you felt the need to IM me inworld about this, gives me a pretty good idea :)

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Caitlin Tobias said:

I never said that, so it was already clear? Anyway, he fact you felt the need to IM me inworld about this, gives me a pretty good idea :)

Not sure what's your point Caitlin, you seem to talk about everything but the actual problem. Anyway, regarding the actual topic, I never came accross a product that would be disabled after it was paid for. That is more concerning than whether the customer was frustrated or not. Once a product is sold and paid for, creators do not have a right to do that. This might warrant some 'feature request' on Canny.

Edit: glad that makes you laugh Caitlin, you seemed a bit tense.

Edited by Kore Jardberg
  • Haha 2

There are products sold on the MP that use an external program to access all or some of the options.   The TMP was the most popular one.  I had some shoes that did this also.  When those creators no longer supported that product, the external program made the items useless.  Happens quite often with no recourse to customers at all.  Such is life.  I can't find documentation that says any creator MUST continue to support a product regardless of the reason.  Someone correct me if this is stated somewhere.

Personally, if you had called me an arrogant c***, I'd have done the same as this creator.  

Regarding the review on MP.  LL won't remove a review simply because the merchant asked.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Personally, if you had called me an arrogant c***, I'd have done the same as this creator.

They said that, really?

Yeah I'd like to think I'd never retaliate no matter what the customer did, as it seems fair that they paid for it and should have it.

But...if they'd called me that name?  I'd really have a hard time sticking to my ethics.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

There are products sold on the MP that use an external program to access all or some of the options.   The TMP was the most popular one.  I had some shoes that did this also.  When those creators no longer supported that product, the external program made the items useless.  Happens quite often with no recourse to customers at all.  Such is life.  I can't find documentation that says any creator MUST continue to support a product regardless of the reason.  Someone correct me if this is stated somewhere.

Regarding the review on MP.  LL won't remove a review simply because the merchant asked.  

That's still true of Meshbody / Legacy. MeshOS uses media.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Kore Jardberg said:

That's still true of Meshbody / Legacy. MeshOS uses media.

Most all of the functions on that body can now be accessed through chat commands with no need to have media enabled.  That was the only aspect that used outside servers.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Most all of the functions on that body can now be accessed through chat commands with no need to have media enabled.  That was the only aspect that used outside servers.

What chat commands do you use to replace the entire "styles" tab? One can barely turn nails on/off with those but other than that, the command list is very short (are there other chat commands not mentioned in the product notecard?).

• Confused 1

BoM off and on is the main one along with the nails.  The style section was for storing applier outfits as well.  Not really needed anymore and no way to clear out the old stuff.which followed you from.the TMP body.  That always seemed so odd to me.when they insisted they were a completely different company/team and wished to distance themselves from TMP.

What else would one NEED.the style section for?   When I wore Legacy, which was before.the update, I turned on BoM, turned off nails since I wore.mesh nails and never needed that section again.  

So why are you sharing the details of your sex life?

Honestly, who cares if you developed an interest in shemales?

Like you said, its your business and your business alone.

Maybe you hope to get more sympathy because you are "edgy"?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

What a warm welcome :)

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Yeah not sure why anyone has to sit through the first 3 paragraphs that have nothing to do with the actual issue smh. Would’ve been nice to have a tl;dr 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Kore Jardberg said:

You mean this forum? Yes, I don't wander here often. Are you saying this is typical of you to welcome visitors this way or typical of this forum in general?

Not me in particular, I'm usually nice, but this can be a rough crowd. 😁

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Write this down.  For once, I agree with you.  All they needed to say was...bought a dick, it didn't work like I thought it would, the creator was not helpful and blah blah blah.

The answers would have been the same.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, discussionbot said:

Yeah not sure why anyone has to sit through the first 3 paragraphs that have nothing to do with the actual issue smh. Would’ve been nice to have a tl;dr 

It probably should be in the adult section too.

That could be a new adult topic "My Slex life"

Not mine, but anyone that wants to post 😁

• Haha 1