World Map

I understand there's been some work on map tiles recently, with several objectives including making them update more efficiently and reliably (as well as eventually exposing the tile textures to scripts).

Inara has a reference from the most recent Simulator User Group:

It’s been noted that outdated map tiles are still appearing on the World Map despite recent updates – apparently, the final updates to the map server have yet to be deployed, hence the delays in updates some might witness.

This from that meeting:

[2024/08/06 12:51]  Lou Netizen: was there discussion at some point about changes/updates to the HTTP world map apis?
[…]
[2024/08/06 12:53]  Leviathan Linden: Lou, Pepper Linden was thinking about that and would like to make the current map tiles available.
[…]
[2024/08/06 12:54]  Lou Netizen: I'll keep my ears open ;)
[2024/08/06 12:54]  Thunder Rahja: Speaking of, I can still see cached map tiles from dead regions on my map. Do I need to clear my cache to remove those dead regions from my map?
[…]
[2024/08/06 12:55]  Leviathan Linden: Thunder, I don't think the final update to Mapserver has been deployed to the main grid.  There are some last minute fixes, I think, but don't know the details.
[2024/08/06 12:55]  Thunder Rahja: Understood, thank you for the update.
[…]
[2024/08/06 13:04]  Pepper Linden: got pulled away for a bit, was just catching up on some of the messages regarding maps -- we have some big deploys planned this week, and another for next week - hopefully by the end of next week maps will be a lot better

Not sure what feedback may have been submitted yet.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

For any following the topic, a bunch more Map-related info in today's Simulator User Group:

[12:09] Pepper Linden: We had several deploys related to maps, included among them were changes to fix region surrounds in map tiles, as well as a fix to our maps CDN -- hopefully they've been acting better for you all
[12:10] Lou Netizen watches everyone open the world map
[12:10] Robin Lobo: great job Pepper ! looks awesome
[12:10] Hazumo: seems to be better behaved pyon
[12:11] Thunder Rahja: I did notice the map for my homestead region is no longer completely gray from the sim surround megaprim.
[12:11] Claire (atomic.infinity): yes noticed the surrounds no longer obliterate whats on the ground :) very nice ty
[12:11] Pepper Linden: Stale tile pruning is still on hold, as there's a few regions on the grid that weren't generating their tile -- we have a fix that we're hoping to get out soon, and once that is out, we'll finally be able to turn on stale tile pruning
[12:11] Medea (medea.destiny): Maps are shockingly fast today tbh
[12:11] Thunder Rahja: It looks much better now.
[12:11] Tony (st33ldi9ital): 𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘦
[12:11] Simon Linden: maps should be faster to load as well
[12:11] Pepper Linden: Yes, maps should be *much* faster now

[12:12] Robin Lobo: yes, updating fast too !!
[12:12] Pepper Linden: On the 2k BOM front, we finally have an initial prototype working, I'm hoping to have a version of this deployed to the beta grid soonish for people to test
[12:12] Crexon: ohhh yea maps seem to be loading much faster ❤
[12:13] Pepper Linden: Those are all my updates :)
[12:13] Joe Magarac (animats): Aw, the CORS fix for the map server didn't go in.
[12:13] Robin Lobo: Sweet Pepper - if there are mixed 2k and 1024, how will that work ?
[12:14] Pepper Linden: as of now, it'll bake at the highest resolution of the included textures, so if there are only 1024, then 1024
[12:14] Rex Cronon: so now we have 4k map tiles?
[12:14] Robin Lobo: ok - ty, can't wait to test that
[12:14] Pepper Linden: rex: bumping the tile resolution is on the roadmap
[12:14] Rex Cronon: :)
[12:15] Nadnerb Tebaldi: If the tile res is going up, will the detail level of prims rendered on the tiles also go up?
[12:15] Nadnerb Tebaldi: We still see hexagons where there are cylinders on the map
[12:16] Pepper Linden: the current maps is very limited in what it can render -- we've discussed moving to a viewer-based bot that would be capable of rendering mesh and etc

I pruned out most tangential discussion, but left in the update about 2K BoM progress.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Not sure about anyone else, but in the last week the wold map has been much slower in rezzing the map tiles for me - its almost to the point where it's unusable now.  Just another "fix" from LL that seems to help some whilst making it worse for others I guess :(

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Not sure about anyone else, but in the last week the wold map has been much slower in rezzing the map tiles for me - its almost to the point where it's unusable now.  Just another "fix" from LL that seems to help some whilst making it worse for others I guess :(

Same here. Very frustrating.

I wonder what the difference is. They're loading very fast for me in Canada right now, but I didn't usually notice slow response even before all this, so maybe it's a time-of-day thing. Or some other idiosyncrasy.

Do we know how they're served? They're stored on S3, and accessible on map.secondlife.com but I have no idea whether that might be CDN-mediated. Just grasping for excuses why performance might be geographically dependent, if it even is.

• Like 1