Locations where black people hang out at?

11 hours ago, Ocean Starchild said:

Nobody has suggested making black friends as a solution to finding black spaces? Really?

you can’t make black friends if you don’t know where they hang out. SL is highly self-segregated 😂

About the only integrated places are sexual race play sims

7 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

SL is highly self-segregated 😂

This is false. There's also a difference between black avatars and black people. Some who pilot black avatars are not actually black in RL. I'm assuming and won't know until they clarify, but my sense was Akira is looking for the latter.

Many communities in SL are diverse with people from all over the planet, especially if you keep in mind that people can use ALL types of avatars. I'm almost never in human form and I'm in the fantasy community. Would you know I'm black if I showed up to Fantasy Faire like this?

Your true form is showing

Honestly, this is why I tend to not give much weight to *places* where we supposedly hang out. At least for some of us, that's not a thing. We're all over the place. Gotta look beyond the avatar to find us.

For the OP: Find your interests and socialize and you'll meet some eventually.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is the point of the thread to find places where "only" black avatars ("people") hang out, or is it OK if there are non-black avatars, furries, etc. there too?

"Predominately black" was in the OP.

There may be smaller black social spaces within certain interest groups, much like RL (black gamers, black furries, black nerds, etc.), but I personally haven't found any in SL myself. Though to be fair, I never looked. I see the value in finding black fantasy/sci-fi spaces, for example, but I tend to prefer larger, diverse communities, so the main groups are fine for me. I still nerd out over the whole "meet people from all over the world" thing that happens pretty frequently in SL.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Is the point of the thread to find places where "only" black avatars ("people") hang out, or is it OK if there are non-black avatars, furries, etc. there too?

"Predominately black" was in the OP.

Reading fail! * bows apologetically and falls over clumsily *

10 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

There may be smaller black social spaces within certain interest groups, much like RL (black gamers, black furries, black nerds, etc.), but I personally haven't found any in SL myself. Though to be fair, I never looked. I see the value in finding black fantasy/sci-fi spaces, for example, but I tend to prefer larger, diverse communities, so the main groups are fine for me. I still nerd out over the whole "meet people from all over the world" thing that happens pretty frequently in SL.

Thanks!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ocean Starchild said:

In my experience, this is not true.

I tried to friend a black girl in the forums one time, but the chip on her shoulder was so big she had to walk through doorways sideways

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

11 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

This is false. There's also a difference between black avatars and black people. Some who pilot black avatars are not actually black in RL. I'm assuming and won't know until they clarify, but my sense was Akira is looking for the latter.

Many communities in SL are diverse with people from all over the planet, especially if you keep in mind that people can use ALL types of avatars. I'm almost never in human form and I'm in the fantasy community. Would you know I'm black if I showed up to Fantasy Faire like this?

Your true form is showing

Honestly, this is why I tend to not give much weight to *places* where we supposedly hang out. At least for some of us, that's not a thing. We're all over the place. Gotta look beyond the avatar to find us.

For the OP: Find your interests and socialize and you'll meet some eventually.

I would accept you as you appear. If you had a white avatar, I'd accept you as white, if a black avatar, i'd accept you as black, swap em out and i'm like whatever.

Regardless, I won't ask you what you are in rl, it doesn't really matter, to me anyway

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I would accept you as you appear. If you had a white avatar, I'd accept you as white, if a black avatar, i'd accept you as black, swap em out and i'm like whatever.

Regardless, I won't ask you what you are in rl, it doesn't really matter, to me anyway

I know, but if the OP is looking for people who are black in RL (the way it's worded makes me think that and I've seen similar questions before), then the avatar makes zero difference anyway.

• Like 1

Below is the best answer for this thread.

On 6/18/2024 at 2:21 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Did you try doing a search for musical genres that appeal to black people?

I would like to also to share what  I understand about Second Life.  

In my First Life, I identify as a person of color (BLACK).  I consider myself to be of AFRO-American descent. Meaning I was born in America and my ancestry is based in the black racial groups of Africa. (African-Americans are those whose have directly immigrated to America from Africa). 

Second Life is not really a place where people bring their First Life identities completely.  The best part of having a second life is that you can be whoever and whatever you can imagine.  

In fact, the advertisement video that brought me here in 2006 were the print words "Your Life, your imagination" and associated audio was the song "Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears".  I was hooked.

Wow, a place where identity is what you create out of your own imagination.

So I opened a nightclub (FABRIC) and played all the genres of music I loved on different days.  Classical Monday, Jazz Tuesday,  Wednesday 80s, Thursday Slow Jams,  Friday Top Hits R&B, Saturday Dirty Rap, Sunday Gospel...hahaha.  It was a blast and the crowds were different each day, with Friday and Saturday my favorite nights. 

Later I discovered that most of the avatars of color that were showing up on Fridays and Saturdays were people from all over the world and about 30% did not speak English. Boys were girls and girls were boys. Then people came as furries, vampires, gorean hunters, demons and a slice of toast.  

Second Life for me is a place where you cannot trust a group of people to be similar to a group you are most comfortable with in your First Life.  How people choose to present themselves online might not be how they actually look offline.   

Black communities here are reflective of the overall black community in the US about 12%-15% of the population.

Be open to just making a friend.

• Like 6

Where do white people end and black people begin. Can we talk Velour skin tones, please.

Praline and Brownie and darker is black?

Sienna and lighter is white?

Would it require RL ID with skin colour confirmation to conform to the requirements? Oh no, what if they were mixed race!

Tricky. I don't know of anywhere so insular. I always visit places where I'm most likely to encounter all variations of the human species.

Edited by graceblakeley
fluffed
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, graceblakeley said:

Where do white people end and black people begin. Can we talk Velour skin tones, please.

Praline and Brownie and darker is black?

Sienna and lighter is white?

Would it require RL ID with skin colour confirmation to conform to the requirements? Oh no, what if they were mixed race!

Tricky. I don't know of anywhere so insular. I always visit places where I'm most likely to encounter all variations of the human species.

Black people as in African Americans, not Secondlife skin tone colors.

Posted (edited)
On 6/20/2024 at 9:05 PM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

This doesn't matter to you because your race is everywhere. There is only a connection that people can feel with people inside of their race because there are things they have in common culturally. To you, it may not matter, but it does matter to other races to have time to enjoy people with a similar culture and were probably raised similarly to me. This is why I am searching for people who are my race behind the computer.

You leave a comment like this and then in another comment you state that you tried to befriend a black woman in and she had a huge chip on her shoulder. Clearly, race matters to you, but only when it is within your acceptable limits.

I didn't post this to have banter back and fourth like it currently has. I just wanted people to drop locations they know or frequent and be on their way. All of this additional commentary is really unnecessary and exhausting. We have to always validate the things we seek in real life, I don't feel like anyone has to validate their decisions online to anyone else.

Anyone else reading this, please can the banter back and fourth stop. I don't have enough time in my day to read all of this in the hopes of someone mentioning a location. I really just want to know of locations, if you don't know one, then pass by, if you do, then mention it and continue onward. Thank you!!!

Edited by Akira Bellisserian
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

54 minutes ago, Akira Bellisserian said:

This is why I am searching for people who are my race behind the computer.

What you are asking for is nearly impossible.  How would anyone know what race a person is behind their avatar unless you actually talked to them and they told you.?  Even then they could by lying.  

The best you can do is put a pick in your profile specifying what you are looking for and hope someone that matches IM's you.

I must say that it's a bizarre request.  I get the idea that you want to hang out with people of your race but to require that they actually be that race behind the avatar? That baffles me.  Also, your profile gives no indication at all what race you are.  Looking at the picture in your first life tab, I'd assume your avatar was white. 

You've been in SL for almost 17 years.  You know that is not how it works.

Also, forums are for discussion so no one is going to "can" anything.  Once a thread has been created it's fair game for anyone to respond how they see fit.

Edited by Kathlen Onyx
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Kathlen Onyx said:

I must say that it's a bizarre request.

It's really not (all sorts of RL-based communities like this form all the time online and even in SL), but to elaborate further would throw this thread completely off-topic and the OP really just wants some community or location names. A specific place might be a challenge, but events do exist, at least.

Oh @Akira Bellisserian , I do have some suggestions, actually. Check out some of the locations and events listed on the Black Community Page LL added a while ago - https://secondlife.com/community/black-culture-community

There are some black sororities and fraternities in SL that host events according to that page, as well. Here's one that was mentioned - https://sigmaiotanusl.wixsite.com/sigmaiotanusl - I'd recommend checking their socials for events. They have FB and Insta.

I dug around and found an Instagram page dedicated to Greek life in SL that lists events, too. I see a fundraiser for Black Girls Code, a lot of parties, and club nights listed - https://www.instagram.com/teamgreeksl/

Another tip - try clicking on the names in that SL community page article linked above. It'll go to their web profiles where you can check Picks and Groups to see if they have anything listed there that looks interesting to you. Good luck!

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Akira Bellisserian said:

This doesn't matter to you because your race is everywhere. There is only a connection that people can feel with people inside of their race because there are things they have in common culturally. To you, it may not matter, but it does matter to other races to have time to enjoy people with a similar culture and were probably raised similarly to me. This is why I am searching for people who are my race behind the computer.

You leave a comment like this and then in another comment you state that you tried to befriend a black woman in and she had a huge chip on her shoulder. Clearly, race matters to you, but only when it is within your acceptable limits.

I didn't post this to have banter back and fourth like it currently has. I just wanted people to drop locations they know or frequent and be on their way. All of this additional commentary is really unnecessary and exhausting. We have to always validate the things we seek in real life, I don't feel like anyone has to validate their decisions online to anyone else.

Anyone else reading this, please can the banter back and fourth stop. I don't have enough time in my day to read all of this in the hopes of someone mentioning a location. I really just want to know of locations, if you don't know one, then pass by, if you do, then mention it and continue onward. Thank you!!!

Race matters to everyone sweetie, whether they admit it or not.

I searched for a location, went and took a picture and posted it and the SLURL in a post.

You're welcome

• Like 1

I don’t know any locations, but I first learned about SL by looking over the shoulder of a coworker as he did SL on his laptop with the company WIFI. All the places he went were predominately black. 

I stumbled over this exhibit in the SL21B Exhibitor Showcase today. It and others may be a place to start.

Khalilah Hambleton HER STORY in History HER STORY in History exhibit is structured as an art gallery. It tells a story through art, poetry, and sculptures of spaces created by and for Black Women. The effects of the smoke, fire dancing on water, and streams of cut crystal are all "codes" for Black Women's Magic.    

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SLB%20Fabulous/251/44/21

On 6/23/2024 at 3:06 AM, Kathlen Onyx said:

What you are asking for is nearly impossible.  How would anyone know what race a person is behind their avatar unless you actually talked to them and they told you.?  Even then they could by lying.  

The best you can do is put a pick in your profile specifying what you are looking for and hope someone that matches IM's you.

I must say that it's a bizarre request.  I get the idea that you want to hang out with people of your race but to require that they actually be that race behind the avatar? That baffles me.  Also, your profile gives no indication at all what race you are.  Looking at the picture in your first life tab, I'd assume your avatar was white. 

You've been in SL for almost 17 years.  You know that is not how it works.

Also, forums are for discussion so no one is going to "can" anything.  Once a thread has been created it's fair game for anyone to respond how they see fit.

Clearly, you cannot respect what someone requests in a thread they created. Yes, it is a forum with plenty of people who want a full blown discussion or debate. I'm just not one of them. You can argue alone and think what ever you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Freckles Fairelander said:

I stumbled over this exhibit in the SL21B Exhibitor Showcase today. It and others may be a place to start.

Khalilah Hambleton HER STORY in History HER STORY in History exhibit is structured as an art gallery. It tells a story through art, poetry, and sculptures of spaces created by and for Black Women. The effects of the smoke, fire dancing on water, and streams of cut crystal are all "codes" for Black Women's Magic.    

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/SLB%20Fabulous/251/44/21

I reviewed this the other day. Thank you!

On 6/23/2024 at 9:30 AM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's really not (all sorts of RL-based communities like this form all the time online and even in SL), but to elaborate further would throw this thread completely off-topic and the OP really just wants some community or location names. A specific place might be a challenge, but events do exist, at least.

Oh @Akira Bellisserian , I do have some suggestions, actually. Check out some of the locations and events listed on the Black Community Page LL added a while ago - https://secondlife.com/community/black-culture-community

There are some black sororities and fraternities in SL that host events according to that page, as well. Here's one that was mentioned - https://sigmaiotanusl.wixsite.com/sigmaiotanusl - I'd recommend checking their socials for events. They have FB and Insta.

I dug around and found an Instagram page dedicated to Greek life in SL that lists events, too. I see a fundraiser for Black Girls Code, a lot of parties, and club nights listed - https://www.instagram.com/teamgreeksl/

Another tip - try clicking on the names in that SL community page article linked above. It'll go to their web profiles where you can check Picks and Groups to see if they have anything listed there that looks interesting to you. Good luck!

This is awesome!!! Thank you so much!! I'm going to go through these today after work. I highly appreciate it!!!!!!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Akira Bellisserian said:

This is awesome!!! Thank you so much!! I'm going to go through these today after work. I highly appreciate it!!!!!!

You're very welcome! Hopefully something good will turn up there. The event pages on Instagram seem current, so here's hoping!