How to move camera the best way

1 hour ago, NiranV Dean said:

Writing in SteamVR is hard when half your keypresses are skipped.

Also restarting is not an option when you want to keep 6 months of "undo" history in Visual Studio.

Thanks, now I'm never closing Visual Studio either. 😔

2 hours ago, NiranV Dean said:

Writing in SteamVR is hard when half your keypresses are skipped.

Also restarting is not an option when you want to keep 6 months of "undo" history in Visual Studio.

I am totally lost on this. I've never heard of SteamVR or Visual Studio. What are you creating with these programs?

One other way, if I'm recording video. is to make my AV invisible, and use my arrow keys to move around. But it's not easy.

On 4/5/2024 at 8:52 AM, Bagnu said:

I am totally lost on this. I've never heard of SteamVR or Visual Studio. What are you creating with these programs?

SteamVR is Steam's own VR API required to start and run VR games on PC via Steam.

I use it to play games in VR (duh), i also record my update videos in VR.

Visual Studio is THE Windows development IDE used to manage all sorts of coding projects primarily written in C/C#/C++ such as most applications and the Second Life Viewers. Think of a Super Coding Text Editor on steroids for coders and developers.

I use it for Viewer development as well as everything advanced coding related. I have the "basic version" of it called Visual Code as primary coding/text editing tool (for everything that isn't C/C#/C++ but can be used for that just as well).

Edited by NiranV Dean

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an Elgato Streamdeck with 15 Buttons, and programmed the hotkeys to control the camera. They accept multiple keystrokes on each button. Works just great. Now to make sure I position them intuitively. It's easy to move the buttons around. No rerecording keystrokes, just moving them around into the slot I want with the streamdeck program.

Edited by Bagnu

On 4/8/2024 at 6:52 PM, Jackson Redstar said:

shift+alt+ctrl+4 - turn off all avatars - including yourself

One problem with this is if I want other AV's to be visible, if I am planning the shot. But that's helpful though if I am not!!!

It's a bit spendy, but the very best way I've found to move the camera around, with no constraints at all, is a 3DConexxions SpaceMouse 6-axis controller. I have the simple wireless version now because it fits neatly on the arm of the sofa in the living room and just needs plugging in overnight to charge, but if you want more buttons for serious CAD work the bigger ones are excellent.

It really is a revelation when you go into flycam mode! You can use it for moving the avatar around too but that can be a bit cumbersome. I used to use the SpaceMouse in sailing battles. One hand on the SpaceMouse, constantly moving the camera around to watch my targets, the other on the keyboard controlling the ship and firing.

If you use Blender, the SpaceMouse makes that so much easier too. I wouldn't be without it.

I also have a POS (point of sale, like they might use in shops) keypad; a grid of 6x5 mechanical keys in a slim case with transparent, removable keycaps for labelling the keys. That gets used for all sorts of things, programmed up and often used in conjunction with ATM Key Manager; like AutoHotKey but in some ways better.