Image size for inventory item preview

blaireberry

Question

Are there any implications for uploading higher resolution images for inventory preview thumbnails? I've mostly been uploading vendor ads from social media instead of taking inworld snapshots and noticed that higher res images result in sharper thumbnail previews but not sure if that's going to be problematic on say performance or texture loading time, etc.

ETA: If "Upload from computer" or "Choose texture" options are chosen instead of "Use snapshot tool", images exceeding 256x256 can be used. The resulting thumbnail may be compressed but my question is whether there are any ramifications for uploading higher res images. There are visual differences when that is done, but I wonder if I do this for the whole of my inventory, I would potentially run into problems.

Edited by blaireberry

10 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Not at home to test, but I'm pretty sure inventory previews are limited to 256x256.

If you select "upload from computer" or "choose texture" instead of "use snapshot tool", you'll be able to use an image exceeding 256x256. I use Firestorm so not sure if these function the same as in LL official viewer.

1 hour ago, blaireberry said:

If you select "upload from computer" or "choose texture" instead of "use snapshot tool", you'll be able to use an image exceeding 256x256. I use Firestorm so not sure if these function the same as in LL official viewer.

Yeah, but I'm 80% sure it gets resized to 256x256, just like how you can choose 2K or even 8K files when uploading textures (which get resized to 1024x1024).

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Yeah, but I'm 80% sure it gets resized to 256x256, just like how you can choose 2K or even 8K files when uploading textures (which get resized to 1024x1024).

Oh I see, so no differences what I upload then. Thanks Wulfie.

11 minutes ago, blaireberry said:

I've actually been using the upload option the most and that is free as well (the upload function mentioned in this blog, not from the Build menu):

https://modemworld.me/2023/06/27/looking-at-the-second-life-inventory-extensions-project-viewer/

image.jpeg.0824585d91dacbc8663ab6295da5aa6a.jpeg

Good to know but I'll just skip the whole Take a pic, save to disc just to bring it back to SL.  I'm not a creator so I don't have vendor photos and such to upload.  I just take.the snap of me wearing what ever it is.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Good to know but I'll just skip the whole Take a pic, save to disc just to bring it back to SL.  I'm not a creator so I don't have vendor photos and such to upload.  I just take.the snap of me wearing what ever it is.

If I come across a vendor ad on Flickr, I just save it temporarily and upload (if the creator hasn't included the texture with the product already). I just prefer them over my amateur snapshots.

Edited by blaireberry

38 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Another thing I like about inventory item preview images is that they survive transferring said item to another person.

Really like when creators of makeup sets include those with each BOM color so I don't have to try each one on to figure out which is the blue one I want to wear since it isn't  named blue

• Like 2