Comprehensive, current, accurate guide (and map) to continent and sub-continent names?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It feels like the answer to this should be easy to uncover, but I've web searched until my eyes crossed, and haven't found anything... Is there any sort of comprehensive — as well as CURRENT and ACCURATE — list, guide, map, etc. for the names of the various continents in SL, including the (presumably informal) sub-continent names people sometimes use? There's a lot of content out there, but everything I find is now years old, including the Wiki article (which doesn't even mention Bellisseria), and the quite useful map made by @Rufferta, the latest version of which seems to be from 2020, and doesn't really show the level of detail I'm looking for.

I'm seriously tempted to start compiling all the tidbits I'm able to find into a comprehensive, detailed, scalable, cartographic-grade result. But perhaps I'm the only resident who seems to want such a thing. 🙄

• Like 4

Many of us make maps and make up names for geographical features. I do it for fun and have no expectation that what I make up will be used by others. The reality as I see it is that the only names that are for sure are REGION names.

I find that that continent names and Linden Home theme area names are fairly stable but there sometimes is confusion about borders, for example, the border between Nautilus and Corsica. Also different communities use local names for things based on what is built.

We have a Game of Names.

Yeah, since writing the post, I've heard pretty much the same from others. In other words, I'm making more of it than I need to, especially with the entire concept of sub-continents, which are as informal as I thought they might be. Bottom line... Go make the maps I'm looking for and not finding, and share if/as desired... 🤪

• Like 2

On 1/29/2024 at 12:53 PM, Wesley Spengler said:

and share if/as desired

Yes! I love such things, too, and, surely, many others. Sharing, with "relevant keywords" that you used while searching before your eyes crossed x_x would certainly help others. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:

Yes! I love such things, too, and, surely, many others. Sharing, with "relevant keywords" that you used while searching before your eyes crossed x_x would certainly help others. :)

🤪 

What spawned this was exploring the railways around Bellisseria. It's great fun, and there are maps, including some graciously provided by someone I (literally) ran into on the rails. (Oops!) But when we're all used to things like Google Maps, etc., trading low-res raster graphics in-world as "maps" is a bit wanting, to be honest. I've spent a huge chunk of time this week seeing what I can put together that addresses my own wants and needs for this, and it's promising. We'll see where it lands. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.