any recs for second life third party viewers?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have the classic second life viewer of course, but I don't enjoy it as much as I did in the beggining. Then changed to firestorm, but it's giving me lots of problems and issues even after doing a clean install. Currently using kokua viewer, but I would love to explore other viewers now. Any recommendations on what viewers are good to try? 

11 minutes ago, Kathrine Jansma said:

Might be easier to answer, if you tell a bit what you usually do in SL. Most viewers have some niche to shine. Some are better for taking pictures. Others for managing your inventory. And so on...

Mainly to explore SL, meet new people and manage my inventory/ do outfits and shopping

I use Alchemy viewer after years of switching between Firestorm and Black Dragon. It's not as "everything and the kitchen sink minute tweaks" as FS, but it has a decent enough amount that you shouldn't miss anything, and while it does have the ability to tilt the camera and make fine graphics tweaks like BD, it doesn't require you have a fancy gaming rig to be able to run it. If you need Area Search, all I know is that it IS coming as a feature this year.

latest build on the site is here [posting the link BC the one in the TPV directory wiki is broken] https://www.alchemyviewer.org/downloads

which is a few builds behind the latest nightly/test build in their Disocrd here https://discord.com/invite/KugCgs6

Sorry to hear you have issues with Firestorm, I would suggest you ask for help in our support group, Firestorm support english, most problems are generally simple to fix. 

That said, while I am clearly biased towards Firestorm 🙂 it is always a good idea to explore other viewers. TPVs are all about choice.

CoolVL Viewer offers quite a different experience as the codebase is derived from an older version and is thoroughly overhauled and maintained by @Henri Beauchamp

Catznip viewer is more aligned to the LL and FS style, but is liked by its users for some of the inventory extensions and other usability features ( @Coffee Pancake

Black Dragon is beloved by photographers and filmmakers ( @NiranV Dean)

Alchemy appeals to those wanting speed and performance. 

That's just a few look at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory to see more from the likes of Genesis and the newest one I have seen Megaphit which (I believe) is aiming to support platforms that the rest of us do not.

Edited by Beq Janus
  • Thanks 5

On 1/17/2024 at 1:31 PM, Beq Janus said:

Sorry to hear you have issues with Firestorm, I would suggest you ask for help in our support group, Firestorm support english, most problems are generally simple to fix. 

Seriously, OP should do this. Firestorm support are awesome.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 109 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.