Starting a Vlog - slow going

jwolf2262

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 80 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

https://youtu.be/Z7Ud4xiLMng?si=tCsNv5WDdHNcXuRJ

Hi 👋, just dropping a link to an sl vlog I'm trying to create. The videos are pretty slow and boring, but I'm trying to get a bearing on video techniques and editing and stuff. 

Anyone have any insights on how I can improve? I've got an idea to do a few MyStory themed vids, visit a few stores and cook, maybe other rp things, show some more of my city build I guess. 

I'm not great at building or anything, but I've got some themes rolling around in my head. Thanks for any input! TC

Without even looking I can probably say that your video would be better. 

OK I did got look. The MAXIMUM for "films" at UWA was four minutes and thirty seconds. Yours happily isn't three hours (yes there actually are those vlogs). BUT after filming then EDIT and make it shorter --- just the best parts.

Along the way turn off the interface --- get closer to your avatar -- watch some other vlogs to see what the "great ones" are doing.   I don't actually watch vlogs but was very active in machinima for about a decade.   Practice helps for sure.

Most of all ENJOY THE PROCESS.     

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Without even looking I can probably say that your video would be better. 

OK I did got look. The MAXIMUM for "films" at UWA was four minutes and thirty seconds. Yours happily isn't three hours (yes there actually are those vlogs). BUT after filming then EDIT and make it shorter --- just the best parts.

Along the way turn off the interface --- get closer to your avatar -- watch some other vlogs to see what the "great ones" are doing.   I don't actually watch vlogs but was very active in machinima for about a decade.   Practice helps for sure.

Most of all ENJOY THE PROCESS.     

Thank you for the helpful response! And pointing me towards UWA, wow, that'll help develop strategies for sure. Shortening/more edit, and probably more action, less talk, and less interface is a good way to go 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I used to do lots of SL Video. See it here. As you look at my older and newer work you'll, hopefully, see a difference in quality. Practice improves quality.

Started with FRAPS and moved to OBS. For work I have Adobe's tools. So Premiere Pro for video, Audition for audio, and Photoshop for editing still images. But there are free and cheap tools available. And some that cost a few hundred to purchase. It isn't so much the tools as is it is the talent that is using them. But better tools make it more fun.

My first video was a tribute to NecronomVI (barely SFW) in 2014. I used FRAPS, Firestorm with a mouse, and Adobe. Later I got OBS as the developer of FRAPS stopped developing and Windows left it behind. I also changed to using a SpaceNavigaor for camera control, which made it nicer and easier.

There are many people that make SL Video or aka machinima. Lots of tutorials online.

For VLogs to be popular you need interesting and frequent content. YouTube's SHORTS have become very popular. They are 30 seconds to may be 5 minutes. Regularly appearing new content is the key to building a popular channel.

5 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

For VLogs to be popular you need interesting and frequent content. YouTube's SHORTS have become very popular. They are 30 seconds to may be 5 minutes. Regularly appearing new content is the key to building a popular channel.

This is important enough that I'm quoting it.

I don't even view Shorts usually, because I don't like the video orientation (is not on a phone), but if I see someone whose stuff I like has put out a new Short, I'll often go comb over their channel again to see what new stuff they've posted in their regular content.

Also, the more often people see your name, the more they'll tend to see you as a valid and competent content creator, because you're still putting out content. It's like how Jane Goodall infiltrated chimpanzee society, she let them get used to her being around and not being a jerk, and they eventually accepted her as one of them.

Not comparing species of great apes or anything like that, just saying. It's a thing, and it works.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 80 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.