issue with my avatar's head and my right hand

Tarq Emor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently, after I changed my laptop, I had an issue with my avatar's head and my right hand as well every time I logged in, forcing me to reconnect the head and body again. The strange thing is that others don't notice this. This situation also applies to my viewing of some avatars. Personally, I think the problem is related to the graphics card settings, but I am still suffering from the same situation. Thank you for your help in advance.

Snapshot_001.jpg

i am just guessing, but it maybe that you have too many things attached to your right hand. The Right Hand is the default attachment point and some/many creatives just leave it as is for their products, so we can often end up with quite a number of things attached to that one point

try going thru what your wearing and attach things to other attachment points. Like for example: your head to your Skull attachment point (if it isn't already) your shirt to Left Shoulder, pants to Right Hip, shoes to Left Foot (and Right Foot if they are separate) etc

basically spread them round your body attachment points and see if that helps

if that doesn't help then get naked. If your head renders as it should then try adding other items like, shirt, pants, etc and see what happens

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 7:00 AM, elleevelyn said:

i am just guessing, but it maybe that you have too many things attached to your right hand. The Right Hand is the default attachment point and some/many creatives just leave it as is for their products, so we can often end up with quite a number of things attached to that one point

try going thru what your wearing and attach things to other attachment points. Like for example: your head to your Skull attachment point (if it isn't already) your shirt to Left Shoulder, pants to Right Hip, shoes to Left Foot (and Right Foot if they are separate) etc

basically spread them round your body attachment points and see if that helps

if that doesn't help then get naked. If your head renders as it should then try adding other items like, shirt, pants, etc and see what happens

dear, What you mentioned is useful, but the problem seems to be in the graphics card settings, as others see my avatar normally. thanks

2 hours ago, Tarq Emor said:

dear, What you mentioned is useful, but the problem seems to be in the graphics card settings, as others see my avatar normally. thanks

dear, when our computer is under-powered then when we have too many objects attached to the same attachment point then our computer struggles to process them fully. When our friends computers are not under-powered then they don't struggle to process them and are able to render them fully

i mentioned what I did because you you also have an issue with your right hand

but if we believe/know that is only our graphics settings that is causing us the problem, then we can reduce our graphics Quality & speed setting. All the way down to level 1 if we must

linden viewer menu: World \ Improve graphics speed \ Graphics settings \ Quality & speed

and then start going up the levels until the problem reappears. At which point we know what our computer is capable of

• Like 1

13 hours ago, elleevelyn said:

dear, when our computer is under-powered then when we have too many objects attached to the same attachment point then our computer struggles to process them fully. When our friends computers are not under-powered then they don't struggle to process them and are able to render them fully

but if we believe/know that is only our graphics settings that is causing us the problem, then we can reduce our graphics Quality & speed setting. All the way down to level 1 if we must

linden viewer menu: World \ Improve graphics speed \ Graphics settings \ Quality & speed

and then start going up the levels until the problem reappears. At which point we know what our computer is capable of

Thank you elleevelyn , but I do not suffer from my PC, as it far exceeds the requirements of Second Life, and I'm using Nvidia GFORCE RTX 4060 in the same time, but i think that i have an issue with the settings of  nvidia control panel.. thank you again.

On 12/21/2023 at 3:13 AM, Tarq Emor said:

Recently, after I changed my laptop, I had an issue with my avatar's head and my right hand as well every time I logged in, forcing me to reconnect the head and body again. The strange thing is that others don't notice this. This situation also applies to my viewing of some avatars. Personally, I think the problem is related to the graphics card settings, but I am still suffering from the same situation. Thank you for your help in advance.

You either have very polite friends who won't tell you how strange your avatar looks (which is VERY unlikely) or as there is only you who can see this issue, the problem is somehow at your end.

You've probably already done this, but I would suggest you check that your graphics card drivers are up-to-date. If you have been faffing about with any of the settings within Second Life, that could also view what you actually see, without affecting the view of other people. 

17 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

check that your graphics card drivers are up-to-date

this is definitely worth a go. It may be that being a new computer it is using the driver that came in the Windows box. Updating to the latest NVidia driver will probably be a good start

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tarq Emor said:

Thank you elleevelyn , but I do not suffer from my PC, as it far exceeds the requirements of Second Life, and I'm using Nvidia GFORCE RTX 4060 in the same time, but i think that i have an issue with the settings of  nvidia control panel.. thank you again.

Even if your system exceeds the requirements and you get things running smooth and loading.. It's still a good idea to attach things to their correct attach points..

I never understood why some creators attach everything to the right hand.. hehehe

Linden lab recently set things up with an attachment point priority order, which helps with a lot of alpha glitching for things like, hair with transparency, sitting over the top of a top that has transparency. things like that.

There is a thread on the topic which also has the attachment priority list if you are interested in that, that is if you haven't seen the list already..

• Like 2

On 12/23/2023 at 11:27 PM, Marigold Devin said:

You either have very polite friends who won't tell you how strange your avatar looks (which is VERY unlikely) or as there is only you who can see this issue, the problem is somehow at your end.

You've probably already done this, but I would suggest you check that your graphics card drivers are up-to-date. If you have been faffing about with any of the settings within Second Life, that could also view what you actually see, without affecting the view of other people. 

First of all, thank you for your valuable comment. As I mentioned in my main post, others see my avatar well, but this form only appears to me, and when I reinstall the head the problem ends, but I have to do that every time I log in to my account.
In addition, the device, programs, graphics card, and all drivers are updated with the latest version.

To the rest, I say: Thank you for your contributions...but all the solutions you mentioned did not improve the situation at all

What I hope is to get your experiences regarding the best settings for the  graphics card to be compatible with Second Life.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 (LAPTOP)

REGARDS,

11 hours ago, Tarq Emor said:

First of all, thank you for your valuable comment. As I mentioned in my main post, others see my avatar well, but this form only appears to me, and when I reinstall the head the problem ends, but I have to do that every time I log in to my account.
In addition, the device, programs, graphics card, and all drivers are updated with the latest version.

To the rest, I say: Thank you for your contributions...but all the solutions you mentioned did not improve the situation at all

What I hope is to get your experiences regarding the best settings for the  graphics card to be compatible with Second Life.

REGARDS,

It certainly is a puzzle, and for sure you have come to the right place to try and solve it. 

It doesn't sound like anyone else is experiencing this, and that is extra frustrating. 

And as potty as this might sound, when you install the next version of the viewer, you might find the problem magically goes away. As we're all using different setups, laptops/PCs/graphics, and even viewers, sometimes a problem can be user specific, as it appears to be in your case. 

16 hours ago, Tarq Emor said:

REGARDS,

Then you are going to want to go to your log in screen, then up in the left corner go to Help, then at the bottom of that menu click About, then at the bottom of that window click ,copy to clipboard and paste that information  here..

Also it might help to get an image from your "Now Wearing"  list as well.. To get to that, Log in, go to the upper far left menu  which will be usually Avatar or Me menu, scroll down to Now Wearing and take images of the complete list  in that window and post those here as well..

Plus it might be helpful to post an image of your  General Graphics settings in the graphics window of the viewer and the Connection window under Network.

Also would be helpful to list what you have tried that has failed so far..The more details the better things can be narrowed down..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 9:43 AM, elleevelyn said:

thank you, but as I mentioned above the problem comes from somewhere in my device. and i wish to get the right setting for nvidia 4060.

when I go back to my previous laptop, (I GOT EVERYTHING OK ) 

Rgds,

@Tarq Emor When asking for help with any technical problem post your viewer and computer information as Ceka suggests. Technical issues present symptoms that can have different causes. As a human can have a fever caused by different bacteria or viruses. A doctor has to determine what is causing the fever to treat it. And the cause varies from person to person and from time to time even when the symptoms are identical.

The viewer tells the graphics system of the computer what to show on the screen and uses the GPU to render parts of that information and eventually draw it on the screen. That system has improved over the years but has remained essentially the same since SL started. I used to provide lots of information on how to tweak graphics for SL. (Articles) That hasn't changed and is unlikely to change until the Lab moves from OpenGL to Vulkan. The viewer gets a chair or avatar and tells the GPU which 3d shapes to draw and where and what colors they are. So the only things affected by graphics settings are those things the viewer gave it to draw. Missing things and misplaced things are viewer issues not card issues.

Your viewer can have issues that mine and other viewers do not have. Which is why most of us have at least 2 viewers installed. We track down problems by determining if it is; a viewer problem, a computer problem (usually driver issues), a connection problem, or a server problem. Most of us use the SL Viewer for a second viewer because if we have to ask for the Lab's help, they insist we report the problem and work with them in the SL Viewer.

Troubleshooting is a series of steps to tell us where the problem is. Your avatar is not rendering correctly for you but does for others. We immediately know it is not the servers or attachments or avatar because those work for others. So, is it your viewer? Try the SL viewer. If you avatar renders in the SL Viewer, we know it is your viewer... and so on until we find the problem.

Attachments failing to render, showing in the wrong place, or simply missing is an old and common problem. Like Elleevelyn I would suspect you have an attachment-issue. How your viewer renders you and how my viewer renders you is different. The process is different. So I may see something different when things are messed up. When all works as intended, we see pretty much the same thing. It is a matter of different paths to the same place.

If your driver were messed up many people would have the same complaint. We would hear about it. We know that because it has happened in the past. Within 48 hours we start hearing the screams. Since there is not a bunch of similar complaints, it is not likely a driver issue. But chase that route if you want.

We know from sailors and fliers that having lots of attachments on the same attachment point is still a problem. Others that don't sail or fly don't notice it. Fliers and sailors see it at region crossings when viewers and servers get busy and lag bites. The stack of attachments on a single point causes problems and some attachments fail to make it into the render cue.

Something is going on that likely triggers the problem for you at login. It is common to have lost network packets at login. The viewer and server are at their busiest at login. It is not surprising that your viewer misses some information during that period and you have an avatar render problem.

When you capture the Help->About... info at login when the problem happens we will likely be able to see what is happening.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 132 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.