automatic logged out after 10-15mins being online. problem happening for sometime now.

Zynklayr Blaylock

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Problem:

after logging in on second life i stay on for sometime and everything rezzes. but after sometime i am automatically logged out. this sort of crash keeps happening no matter how many times i try to login on the below viewers i have tested so far.:

viewer 2 , viewer 1 , emergence, phoenix,kirstens 21 ,firebird, Imprudence (better results)

heres what i have tried so far but did not bear any fruitation:

i tried clearning my cache both of network and inventory, tried logging in through alt, tried sorting inventory, tried logging in on random locations, increased/ decreased bandwidth usage, checked my firewall status, changed ports, hell i even changed my mac to check it, ran ccleaner, did fresh install on all the above mentioned viewers before trying them.

total system configuration:

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/26/2011, 18:55:52
  Machine name: KRAYON
 Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)
 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
 System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
 System Model: Studio 1558
  BIOS: Ver 1.00 BIOS A12 PARTTBLr
  Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU       M 620  @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
  Memory: 4096MB RAM
 Available OS Memory: 3956MB RAM
 Page File: 2260MB used, 5650MB available
  Windows Dir: C:\Windows
 DirectX Version: DirectX 11
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
 Card name: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570  
 Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
  Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9553)
  DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
 Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9553&SUBSYS_04131028&REV_00
 Display Memory: 2228 MB
 Dedicated Memory: 506 MB
 Shared Memory: 1722 MB
 Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (59Hz)

its a laptop system, with a coolant under it also a side fan is used during play for better performance for more air ventilation. and temperature is regulated and checked through the msiafterburner . both for graphics card and chipset. it fluctuates between 40-50 during normal usage and 70-80 during sl usage. so i doubt that heating is a problem.also i use the same system to play COD MW2 online and Aion online, both are way more graphic and network intense games than secondlife.

Connection type i use:

i am a student in university so they have ports blocked. hence i use a SSL VPN connection to tunnel through the connection and connect to sl. i did not face this problem few months back , i could easily use sl without issues of crashes. it started happening only recently. i been away from sl for sometime due to my rl and now when i want to get back on it just wont let me stay on. i even spoke to my vpn provider and they confirmed there is no issue from their end regarding the connection.

Recently tried solutions (posted by others users/by self):

logged in on SLbeta confirm i can stay online longer but cannot tp anywhere else and only 70 percent of inventory loaded.

logged in OSgrid confirm working perfectly without issues .hence i dont think its my connection or my computer.

Hypothesis:

i tend to logout only after inventory has fully loaded my sl works perfect till time it is loading.. so i suspect its an object or script in my inv causing the issue,.the problem is pinpointing it . i tried cleaning my inventory in SLbeta and then cleared cache n logged in SL , but somehow the items i deleated reappeard , i can only seem to delete items in beta grid due to the fact i can stay online on it while Sl grid jus kicks me out before i get to the point. kindly give input regarding this...?

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

One very common reason for that behavior is overheating, and it's serious.  SL puts a very high load on your graphics card, which needs to consume a lot of energy and therefore puts out a lot of heat.  This can be a very nasty problem for laptops especially, since they have a harder time getting rid of heat than desktops with huge fans. In the short term, overheating may simply make you crash.  In the longer term, it can destroy your graphics card.

If you are working from a desktop, invest in a couple of extra fans.  I have four in mine. They are a cheap investment in the lifetime of your graphics card.  If you're working from a laptop, raise it off the table (don't ever use it on your lap -- it blocks the vents and can burn your legs too).  If you go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart you can buy devices that will lift a laptop for air circulation.  Some even have fans built in.  Whatever computer you have, RIGHT NOW get yourself a can of compressed air and blow out all the accunulated dust bunnies and cat hair.  Those trap heat badly.

• Like 1

i will not interfere with the help you are getting from people with way more technical skills than i have (which is zilch :D) i just wanted to give you kudos for an excellent first post. it's not often we see those around here. :matte-motes-smile:

add info/comments to your post by using options > edit.

I agree. You have really done your homework so to speak and been very clear on what ISN'T the problem.

The only thing I can think of to try would be:

1. Logging onto SL from a RL friend's computer which hopefully goes from their HOME and not the school. This should tell you if it is the connection.

2. Logging onto the BETA grid instead of the live grid and see if you still crash.

Those things won't solve your problem, but might give you a better idea where the problem lies. I can't see what graphics card you are using (or it is too early for me and I missed it on two reads) but if it is an integrated card, that may be part of the issue. The machine may be cool enough but the graphics card simply can't cope and shuts down. There have been folks with that problem.

Reinstall the viewer software. Do you use registry repair/cleaning software? Run a check disk on this PC.

Tell us about this:

"I am a student in university so they have ports blocked. hence I use a SSL VPN connection to tunnel through the connection and connect to SL."

Would contacting the school about a connection issue be a problem?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.