automatic logged out after 10-15mins being online. problem happening for sometime now.

Zynklayr Blaylock

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

One very common reason for that behavior is overheating, and it's serious.  SL puts a very high load on your graphics card, which needs to consume a lot of energy and therefore puts out a lot of heat.  This can be a very nasty problem for laptops especially, since they have a harder time getting rid of heat than desktops with huge fans. In the short term, overheating may simply make you crash.  In the longer term, it can destroy your graphics card.

If you are working from a desktop, invest in a couple of extra fans.  I have four in mine. They are a cheap investment in the lifetime of your graphics card.  If you're working from a laptop, raise it off the table (don't ever use it on your lap -- it blocks the vents and can burn your legs too).  If you go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart you can buy devices that will lift a laptop for air circulation.  Some even have fans built in.  Whatever computer you have, RIGHT NOW get yourself a can of compressed air and blow out all the accunulated dust bunnies and cat hair.  Those trap heat badly.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

One very common reason for that behavior is overheating, and it's serious.  SL puts a very high load on your graphics card, which needs to consume a lot of energy and therefore puts out a lot of heat.  This can be a very nasty problem for laptops especially, since they have a harder time getting rid of heat than desktops with huge fans. In the short term, overheating may simply make you crash.  In the longer term, it can destroy your graphics card.

If you are working from a desktop, invest in a couple of extra fans.  I have four in mine. They are a cheap investment in the lifetime of your graphics card.  If you're working from a laptop, raise it off the table (don't ever use it on your lap -- it blocks the vents and can burn your legs too).  If you go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart you can buy devices that will lift a laptop for air circulation.  Some even have fans built in.  Whatever computer you have, RIGHT NOW get yourself a can of compressed air and blow out all the accunulated dust bunnies and cat hair.  Those trap heat badly.

• Like 1

i will not interfere with the help you are getting from people with way more technical skills than i have (which is zilch :D) i just wanted to give you kudos for an excellent first post. it's not often we see those around here. :matte-motes-smile:

add info/comments to your post by using options > edit.

I agree. You have really done your homework so to speak and been very clear on what ISN'T the problem.

The only thing I can think of to try would be:

1. Logging onto SL from a RL friend's computer which hopefully goes from their HOME and not the school. This should tell you if it is the connection.

2. Logging onto the BETA grid instead of the live grid and see if you still crash.

Those things won't solve your problem, but might give you a better idea where the problem lies. I can't see what graphics card you are using (or it is too early for me and I missed it on two reads) but if it is an integrated card, that may be part of the issue. The machine may be cool enough but the graphics card simply can't cope and shuts down. There have been folks with that problem.

Reinstall the viewer software. Do you use registry repair/cleaning software? Run a check disk on this PC.

Tell us about this:

"I am a student in university so they have ports blocked. hence I use a SSL VPN connection to tunnel through the connection and connect to SL."

Would contacting the school about a connection issue be a problem?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4118 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.